Re-starting 15 gallon, 1st time with sand

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Planning to add MTS, but also going to be a planted tank, so stirring up the sand too much especially in the thicker areas might be a problem for the plants, possibly? I do want a fairly thick layer so I can have some height at one end, but think I might have gone a bit mad. Any thoughts before I add plants to this and it's a nightmare to remove a good amount of it?
DSCF1802.JPG
DSCF1806.JPG

DSCF1810.JPG
DSCF1822.JPG
DSCF1812.JPG

Just looks a tad thick... I personally wouldn’t do anything over 2 inches.

It won’t be a problem for the plants, it will actually give the, more sand to root in.

I know it would cloud up the water, but you could remove some with a small cup, then smooth it back out.

It’s your choice though... the MTS snails will help by preventing dangerous pockets of air from forming under the sand, but it is very possible some may form, with that much substrate.

(Edit: No clue on the oto, sorry... really cute though!)

Wow in that first pic it looks like you can actually see eggs being held by the pelvic fins right?
Right??? I stared at that for ages in person too, before snapping the photos. There isn't sand in that tank, so it can't be sand. I thought I was going mad. Who else has otos we can tag? I know @JuiceBox52 does. Maybe @NCaquatics has thoughts?

Just looks a tad thick... I personally wouldn’t do anything over 2 inches.

It won’t be a problem for the plants, it will actually give the, more sand to root in.

I know it would cloud up the water, but you could remove some with a small cup, then smooth it back out.

It’s your choice though... the MTS snails will help by preventing dangerous pockets of air from forming under the sand, but it is very possible some may form, with that much substrate.

(Edit: No clue on the oto, sorry... really cute though!)
Luckily it hasn't clouded too much, I rinsed it well, and I'd literally just added the sand, filled the tank 3/4 of the way and added the filter before snapping the pic, so hopefully removing some wouldn't cause too much of a problem.

Is it just the worry about anaerobic pockets that would stop you doing more than 2 inches at the thickest areas?

Luckily it hasn't clouded too much, I rinsed it well, and I'd literally just added the sand, filled the tank 3/4 of the way and added the filter before snapping the pic, so hopefully removing some wouldn't cause too much of a problem.

Is it just the worry about anaerobic pockets that would stop you doing more than 2 inches at the thickest areas?
Yes that’s the only real worry with that much sand. I would remove a little bit though.

@Ch4rlie any thoughts on sand layer, but also any thoughts if that oto is carrying eggs between her pelvic fins? There's no sand in that tank, and they have been showing some spawning like behaviours, circling each other before vanishing into plants

ETA: I did take more photos than that I can always add

Deepest part of the substrate would be ok up to 3 inches especially if you're planting something like a sword or vallis there. A gradient down from one corner at the back to the opposite corner at the front (at half inch - 1 inch) would look cool. I'm considering removing some sand from the front of mine and piling it up at the back.
Currently searching for some articles I've read before now, will paste them here when i get to them

@Ch4rlie any thoughts on sand layer,
I concur with @Barry Tetra - to much sand.

I would remove a solid inch. (If it is 3 inches deep, it looks like it)

You may want to create another thread for the Otos, so you can “pull in” more advice. ;)

Deepest part of the substrate would be ok up to 3 inches especially if you're planting something like a sword or vallis there. A gradient down from one corner at the back to the opposite corner at the front (at half inch - 1 inch) would look cool. I'm considering removing some sand from the front of mine and piling it up at the back.
Currently searching for some articles I've read before now, will paste them here when i get to them
Unless you have substrate damns (small pieces of plastic you slide in the substrate), the sand will eventually slide down and get level, especially with substrate dwelling creatures.

I have tried it before...

Unless you have substrate damns (small pieces of plastic you slide in the substrate), the sand will eventually slide down and get level, especially with substrate dwelling creatures.

I have tried it before...
Yeh without any hardscape and plants its going to even out definitely. Once roots from swords etc are established they do a good job alone at fixing substrate in place. But yes, you're right, before those roots take hold, using some large pebbles as a barrier is necessary

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back