Striped platty?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alice2072

Reaction score
Hi everybody.
This is my first time having fry. The one pictured is maybe 3-4? weeks old.
I assumed they were platy's, but now I'm second guessing because the fry have vertical stripes. Almost looks like someone took a marker to it.
Is anyone able to ID this fry?
It's not easy getting a clear picture of them. But this is the clearest I've got so far.

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-06-11-18-06-09.png
    Capture+_2021-06-11-18-06-09.png
    499.5 KB · Views: 1,541
What else is in the tank. It looks like a platy or swordtail to me. Fry can show up with all sorts of markings and colors.

What else is in the tank. It looks like a platy or swordtail to me. Fry can show up with all sorts of markings and colors.
I have harlequin rasbora's, lambchop rasbora's, von rio Tetra, cardinal tetra, and guppies which I believe I got after these guys were born. Or around the same time. But the females were pretty skinny when I got them.

I have harlequin rasbora's, lambchop rasbora's, von rio Tetra, cardinal tetra, and guppies which I believe I got after these guys were born. Or around the same time. But the females were pretty skinny when I got them.
Out of that lot they will be platies then

Hi everybody.
This is my first time having fry. The one pictured is maybe 3-4? weeks old.
I assumed they were platy's, but now I'm second guessing because the fry have vertical stripes. Almost looks like someone took a marker to it.
Is anyone able to ID this fry?
It's not easy getting a clear picture of them. But this is the clearest I've got so far.
If you have tuxedo Platies or mix: it's not unusual to have stripes.
They look quite nice to me but they are classified as feeder fish cull as not fully developed tuxedo. Apparently.
I have couple of stripy platies I bought from as feeder fish from fish store. They are my favorites lol

If you have tuxedo Platies or mix: it's not unusual to have stripes.
They look quite nice to me but they are classified as feeder fish cull as not fully developed tuxedo. Apparently.
I have couple of stripy platies I bought from as feeder fish from fish store. They are my favorites lol
I do have a female tuxedo, but seems to be loosing its color. So I'm not sure if it's considered a tuxedo anymore lol. But that one wouldn't be the mom of the striped frys. Mom would be the typical all orange platy. She was pregnant when I got her from the store. She came from an all orange platy tank. So I have no idea what the dad looks like. She held all her babies in for nearly 2 months before giving birth.

Well, stripes can occur on a platy but also on a swordtail. But it will be a speculation what kind of phenotypes are in the bloodline of the parents. So, offspring don't have to look the same as the parents, if one or both parents have a mixed bloodline.

Last edited:
I hate that term feeder fish. Every fish has the right to live out its full life in an aquarium. Just because a fish may not be as pretty as the next fish it doesn't give us the right to feed it to another fish.
That's nice moral thing in theory, but not so if you look at it from practical angle:

I have aquarium with 12 platies. If I give every fish in aquarium right to live out it's full life, this is what will happen:
A. I'll save all the babies and let them live out their lives - 1 female can pop out about 1,000 a year.
- by year 4: I'll have to conquer entire planet and force every man, woman and child to buy 100 gallon aquarium to house over 500 billion platies
-shortly after I'll have to strip entire planet of resources making aquariums and filling them with water. And kill every living thing to feed the platies at which point platies would all die too.
In few short years: Entire planet will be stripped of all resources and every living thing extinct all because I bought 12 platies, saved the babies and gave every fish the right to live out it's life.

B. I buy Betta fish to hunt down and eat the babies. And my Betta is unsung hero that saved the world from Platy caused extinction of all life on the planet and nobody is even aware how close to the end of the world they were if I picked option A.

So: Am I an a...ole murderer for putting Betta into platy tank to hunt babies or saving the planet from Platy apocalypse?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back