Strange Snail Behavior (new tank additions)...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlolm

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Beginner here, this is my first planted tank. It is a bit small (10L). I bought a new tank, a much bigger one that I will setup in the next few weeks (fluval edge 2). But in the meantime I wanted to get some cool snails since algae in my small tank is still an issue. I bought two small snails. I found out their breed here: https://www.aqualog.de/en/lexikon/cipangopaludina-leucythoides-2/

I did the normal water adjustment and added them about two weeks ago. At first one was fairly active, the other was a bit more shy. After a day they both were moving about feeding on the algae in my tank. By the third day I noticed they would fall over on their backs alot. Then i'd wait to see if they could right themselves on their own. They did, at one point one of them was almost completely out of his shell to right himself. I was worried maybe they would get stuck on their backs, one stopped moving completely and you could see he was slightly out of his shell by a milimeter. I righted him because he didnt move for a whole 24 hours. Now both have been sitting in the same positoin, without moving at all for about 3 days. They are not feeding, or moving, at all, day or night. I'm not sure if they are even alive at this point.

Yesterday I decided to check if they were still alive, so I did the smell test (read online). They didnt stink. I put them on my little driftwood log and they started munching on it a little bit (alive, yay). Then they fell off again and went back to being weird and dormant. One of them is hanging out of his shell.

I thought they didnt like my water or temp. Water temp is: 25 Celcius. (with heater on)

I should also add, yesterday I decided to buy two more snails. They are bigger and are already very active. (http://www.aqua4you.de/fischart1675.html) So far they are cruising all over the tank eating algae. Now I have a small tank so I know this is too many snails for this small tank. But I got a bigger tank for xmas that I am preparing. It should be ready in 2-3 weeks. In the meantime, if they run out of alage to eat in the smaller tank, I will make some for them (read about putting stones + water in a cup in the sunlight). Hopefully I can keep them happy and healthy and ready for the new tank.

My question is: Should i remove the other two snails who are acting weird? I dont want to infect or poison my two healthy new snails and betta.

Thanks,

Here are pics and water readings.

Attachments

• 01be9884503f91d8daf8bc19659fd4d82a807dd2db.jpg
    01be9884503f91d8daf8bc19659fd4d82a807dd2db.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 01897e6dfd92f5551a084c720b694d554f937d66ac.jpg
    01897e6dfd92f5551a084c720b694d554f937d66ac.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 014b1245577218e6c8aabd179f72ec2c2c4c61aebd.jpg
    014b1245577218e6c8aabd179f72ec2c2c4c61aebd.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 158
Did you cycle your tank before adding animals? The ammonia and nitrate are too high which is likely causing your problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, your nitrate is fine, your nitrite is bad.

Hi,

Thanks, the tank is about 3 and a half months old, so it should be cycled. I did cycle it before adding the betta. I think the amonia readings are wrong. Still getting a handle on matching the colors. It pretty much should be all 0's in the above pic.

Personally I think your PH is a bit high for a Betta but thats just me.

What type of rock is that? The one with the moss on it?

How did you acclimatize the snails?

The PH is naturally high here where I live. I'm thinking about getting some concentrated Pete moss medium for my next tank.

I'm not sure on the rock.

I did the standard little bit of tank water every 10 minutes for 30 minutes. The new snails are doing great. The old ones are still behaving oddly although they do still move a tiny bit each day.

Something weird I just noticed. There are tiny little white swimming organisms around the snail who is behaving weird. They are also swimming elsewhere in the tank I can see. Do you think these are harmful or some kind of parasite that came from the pet store?

Should i immediately quarantime my betta and healthy snails?

Or are these some standard healthy critters? I can see them with my own eyes however...

Can you provide a photo of these critters or a detailed description?

Took me awhile as they are so tiny and you can only really see them against a black background. But I finally captured a video of them.

I really can't see anything?
Maybe if we give you a list of things it could be and you could id it on the net...
Planaria
hydra
Seed shrimp
Cyclops
Water fleas

It's at 28 seconds. But I'll check those

Was it that thing that floated past? Above the bog wood? Could be an ostracod (seed shrimp) - they are harmless and the beta will probably eat it.

Most reactions

Back