Strange Panda Corydoras behaviour

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SBurg

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first post within the forum, so hopefully i'll provide enough information!

I bought my tank about this time last year (70L) and got 5 Cardinal Tetras, 5 Rummy Tetras and 3 Panda Corydoras. Everything with the tank has been going well, until the last month or so where one of my Panda's seemed to be behaving strange. He'd be resting and then when I use to go and feed them he would dart around the tank before calming down in one of the corners; I started to study him a bit, and noticed it looked like he may have got fin rot as well.

Shortly after I then saw him on his back, however he then started to swim around fine; however yesterday he did the same but for longer (still breathing!) After a few minutes he then began swimming around again. Compared to the other 2 he doesn't look quite as healthy/big so wondered if he maybe older?

I don't have a spare tank to put him in to monitor him better, however I don't necessary want to leave him in the tank in case he gets stuck upside down somewhere and I don't notice it straight away.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before you add it to the tank?

-------------------------
Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified and resolved.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Hey, Thanks for the quick response; I've not tested the water recently. I'll try and do one soon and provide the numbers, and try to grab some pictures/videos.

I have a gravel cleaner that I use to clean the gravel and change the water weekly/roughly every ten days. Before adding the new water back into the tank I let it stand for at least 24 hours before starting the water change.

Thanks for the thread, I'll get reading on the train home from work!

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before you add it to the tank?

Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified and resolved.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish gets sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Hi everyone,

My first post within the forum, so hopefully i'll provide enough information!

I bought my tank about this time last year (70L) and got 5 Cardinal Tetras, 5 Rummy Tetras and 3 Panda Corydoras. Everything with the tank has been going well, until the last month or so where one of my Panda's seemed to be behaving strange. He'd be resting and then when I use to go and feed them he would dart around the tank before calming down in one of the corners; I started to study him a bit, and noticed it looked like he may have got fin rot as well.

Shortly after I then saw him on his back, however he then started to swim around fine; however yesterday he did the same but for longer (still breathing!) After a few minutes he then began swimming around again. Compared to the other 2 he doesn't look quite as healthy/big so wondered if he maybe older?

I don't have a spare tank to put him in to monitor him better, however I don't necessary want to leave him in the tank in case he gets stuck upside down somewhere and I don't notice it straight away.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Corys act so weird to start with IMO. they do go crazy and then just stop. yours does seem a little strange but corydoras are little crazy guys! thats why i love them, i have about 13 in total. bronze, julii and sterbai. I keep thinking about starting another tank just for them!

I have read that corys do better in a group of 6 of the same type or more. I started with 3 pandas and 3 juliis and they were very skittish. They became much more outgoing when I went to 6 of each.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back