Strange Eggs... Or Somethingelse?

ICEEGRL

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey! My small tank has something strange going on. I have 2 kinds of corys in it, and have found 3 kinds of eggs! :eek:
How is that possible?

I have a male and female albino and a male and female elegans in this tank.

I found regular size eggs, medium size eggs and tiny eggs. There are tons of the 2 smaller size eggs!
The medium and small eggs seem to have some sort of slime or something on most of them too. (not all of them though)

I also need to know if albino eggs are supposed to be brownish like the peppered eggs. Mine are still white, but you can see a little dot in the center of most of them. If they stay white how do you know that they are fertile or if they are getting fungus?

How big are elegans eggs?

If anyone has pics of normal elegans or albino eggs please post them so I can see what they should look like.

Here are some of what I have going on...
View attachment 44704
and...

View attachment 44705
View attachment 44706
View attachment 44707
and...

View attachment 44708
This is in the bottom of my filter...
View attachment 44709
and...

View attachment 44710

Here is more...

View attachment 44711
and...

View attachment 44712
and...

View attachment 44713
and...

View attachment 44714
and...

View attachment 44715

I hope these are good enough for you to tell what they are. I thought the smallest ones were probably snails, but they are bigger than the snail eggs that I had before. Also this tank was broken down and sterilized and dried out. Then I started over (filters and all) Everything was sterilized, so how could they get in? :blink:

Please help! :shout:

:thanks:

Eggs covered on slime are usually from snails, thats all i know, have you any plants in the tank which may have bought snails in?

tats all i can think of, and good luck in hatching th cory eggs :D

Those last few pics I take it are the "slime covered eggs" They dont really look like slime covered eggs. It looks to me like food that has fungus on it, I could be wrong

Ok everything that is not distinctly an egg is being cleaned out.

Next questions are...

1. Do albino eggs stay white?
I can see something in the middle, but they are snow white.

2. If they do stay white, how do you know when they are getting fungus?

3. How big are elegans eggs?

4. How can I tell which ones the eggs belong to? (albino or elegans)

Thanks for helping :good:

Fungused eggs look fuzzy.

Snails come in on plants usually.

Could be fungused food. Food than gets caught in the plants and stuff will fungus and turn tannish slimy.

The color of the eggs will depend on the species, not the variety, i.e. albino what?

I did that thread a little while back with all kinds of pics and stuff. We never did figure out what kind they are.
In the albinos, they all look too much alike for me to figure it out.

I think I am just going to give the tank a good clean and see if they will do it again. The eggs that I saved don't appear to be doing anything.

I am going to separate the 2 pairs too. This way I will know which ones are laying the eggs.

Just saw your post... Thanks. Maybe I will save some of these eggs a few more days then. They don't look hairy. I have some that are very clean looking. They are just bright white.

In a couple of those pics the corys look yellow/orange. That was my camera. They are really white.

Can albino corys have regular fry? (then we might know what they are)

Is there a way to tell the elegans eggs from the others?

Thanks! :good:

I had the exact same problem a little while ago, I found strange egg like things in my tank that had a sort of slimy coat on them, some were white, some were yellowy some were quite brown. My bronze corys have just recently laid eggs and the things I found in the other tank a while back looked pretty much the same but slimy and diff colours. Again I have the same problem as you with not knowing 100% what 2 of my corys are, I have 4 definate bronze but 2 are either some sort of goldy bronze variation, elongate or something else.

I still don't know if it was excess food and not eggs, I fed them the same amount for months and then all of a sudden I have either excess food or eggs, it's weird. I even fed them less / fed bloodworms or brinshrimp for a few days and still found the slimy round things, but it was a few days at a time then nothing for a few weeks, then it happened again. I didn't have any for weeks, they've recently been moved into a larger tank, so far haven't seen any, still feeding the same amount of food. If it is food it must be getting trapped somewhere for a little while and then dislodging and I'm finding it.

I must say my pics were nowhere near as good as yours, I'm awful with the camera, here's the post I made regarding them - eggs

I read somewhere that the elegans eggs are smaller but I'm not sure as I don't have elegans. I think albinos will have albino fry though I guess it is possible for there to be a throwback but mine so far have always had albino fry.

Azaezl... That is exactly what mine is. The thing is... If you check them out with a magnifying glass... there are little round eggs in all that gunk. I have compaired it to the food when broken down. It isn't the same.
Maybe snails layed eggs over these eggs... The problem with that is I sterilized everything before it went in. I even treated and isolated the plants first.
I am soooooo confused! :S

Thanks Madmom. I think the big ones are the albino and the medium ones are the elegans. The tiny ones I just can't come up with an explaination for.

I am still hunting info... and pics to compair these to...

Thanks! :good:

Albinos will not have regular (colored) fry. They are all recessive genes. They lack the genetic codes to pass on to make color.

Are the albinos spawning together?

The eggs from albino Corys (aeneus or paleatus) are usually about 2 mm in diameter, but C. elegans eggs are very small and are usually not much larger than 1 mm in diameter. Also the albino's will lay around 150 max, but C. elegans often produce several hundred eggs in a spawning.

Ian

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back