Strange Eggs... Or Somethingelse?

Thanks Coryman. Can you tell from the pics what kind of albinos I have?

Jollysue... Thanks. I missed the spawn, but from what Coryman said about the size, I would say yes. I had about 40 big eggs. I'm not positive that they are fertile though. I guess that puts me right back to not knowing doesn't it?

haha Yes the question about them spawning together was suggesting that the eggs would not be fertile if they were different species of albino. Ladies will lay eggs w/o a male to fertalize them.

Nevertheless, stop in the place I forwarded.

I took my fat mama pepper out to give her a rest once, and she just kept plastering the quarantine tank--no male in sight. That's when I was told that the lady controls the spawn.

I have each pair in separate 10g tanks. Both have been cleaned and hopefully I will catch them during the act this time. This way they will be easier to keep an eye on.

I did some very close inspections while cleaning. I figured out that what I thought was another type of egg was the fungus on the elegans eggs. They were all covered with it. Most of the albino eggs were too. I did have a few that were still clean. I have them in a separate net now. They are sort of off white so they may be fertile. I am going to give it a few days and see what happens. If they are good they should hatch in the next few days.

I checked my gravel and filter and everything very closely, but there were no snails to be found. I am really glad of that. I hate snails! They slime up everything and make it look nasty. I can't stand for my tanks to look dirty.

I also noticed that the tail fins on my albino corys are a little different. The male's is longer and sort of curved at the tips. They both look like they have that hump just before the tail fin like the bronze. It isn't as big though. You have to be looking for it to see it. I really wish I could figure out what they are so I could get a few more.

Will otto's eat the eggs and fry?
If so how big would they have to be to be safe?

some of my cories have spawned twice when I have cleaned the tank and cleaned the glass usually 3-5 hours later eggs are there... but my loaches and syno's eat them and me using a eye dropper into a breeding net didn't work... I would also say the Otto's would eat the eggs but not the fry

I wouldn't really know as I have never gotten the eggs to hatch to see how small cory fry is I guess use your own judgement mouth size by cory size I guess

Otos are vegitarians--herbavores. They should not have a problem with eggs. They also have the sucker mouths of algae eaters.

The albino sterbai have the yellow/gold fins. The albino peppers have the irridescence on the gill plates (or whatever.) Lacking those two differences you are left with bronze.

I'd just watch them till I felt comfortable putting them in the main tank. If in doubt just add 1-2 and see what happens. If they get harassed take them out. My albino aeneus were a pretty good size at 6 weeks and at 11 weeks are almost as big as the adults. Growth rate might be different for each breed .

I just caught a failed T. I think I may have interrupted them. :blush:
I was taking new pics. The others are old. I am going to down load them and post a few.

What if the fins look yellowish and there is a slightly shiny gill plate too? :blink:

I will post the new pics in a little bit.

:thanks:

It took longer to go through them than I expected. :whistle: There were a lot of them! I narrowed it down to about 1/4 of them. I tend to get carried away whith my camera.
Any way...
Here is what I have...
The first 3 are of the albino female...

View attachment 44747
View attachment 44746
View attachment 44748

The next 3 are the albino male...

View attachment 44749
View attachment 44750
View attachment 44751

Next there are 7 with both of them...

View attachment 44752