Strange Cycle

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ian H

Fish Herder
Reaction score
ok so i have a future shrimp tank im setting up, only a small 5 gal tank so i added 1.2ml of ammonia to start off the fishless cycle (9.5% ammonia)

I had been testing every day and ammonia was 8+ppm, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0 so i left it a week or so and tested again:

ammonia: still high, i would say around 8ppm
nitrite: 0 - 0.25ppm
nitrate: 40ppm

i was expecting the nitrites to be through the roof by now!! i put the filter in my mature tank for around 24 hours first but still, i didnt expect this result!! from what i can understand i have added to much ammonia, which is getting broken down into nitrite and then straight away getting broken down into nitrate??

In which case can i assume my filter is cycled enough for my shrimp if i do a 100% water change (to get rid of the ammonia)

Hi, ammonia a little high, yes.

Did you test your water for nitrate right at the begining (ie, your tap water)?

The nitrate was more than likely already there (my tap water is a constant 40ppm nitrate) in which case your cycle has only just started

what did your nitrite peak at, as i know adding over 5ppm of ammonia can slow down the cycle alot ,because what happens is you will get a massive spike in ammonia and then a massive spike in nitrite and they will continue to be off the chart for a very long time the reason being is that the filter media and surfaces in the tank or oxygen levels are simply insufficient to grow and maintain a bacterial colony massive enough to convert all of the ammonia and all of the nitrite to nitrates.

so unless you have had you nitrite peak then your cycle hasnt really started

i hope this helps

jagz

i cant remember exactly, there was some nitrite before (water went purple as soon as i added the bottle) so didnt bother to wait as i know this means its high.

I did check the nitrate before and it was VERY low, almost 0

if the ammonia is over 8ppm then it won't process at all, too much ammonia inhibts a cycle, you need to do a water change to drop it down to around 5ppm and then it'll start cycling :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back