Stones from a quarry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Duncan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I originally aquired some stones from a quarry for making planters (it didn't work  :( ) and I was wondering if I could use them for me tank.  I'm thinking of making two levels in the aquarium, if I cleaned or boiled the stones, would I be able to use them.  As to the type of stone I haven't got a clue.

Duncan

Stones or rock from this part of the world is usually non soluble so won't leach and alter your water parameters, just check to see if there is any rusty looking seams in the stone as this is a sign of an iron ore trace. Scrub them with a stiff brush 'til clean and rinse. You could also try the acid test just in case. Mac.

Very true. As long as it doesn't appear rusty, or look like it has any mineral deposits, I use it. I usually do a bleach soak with anything questionable before it goes in my tank.
Thinking about it, we probably ask for more trouble adding pieces of driftwood that came from who knows where, than the occasional rock or two.
And speaking of rock. Go to a landscaping store or plant nursery, and you can buy huge cool shaped slabs of the stuff for like 10 cents a pound.

Depends on what setup you've got(hard/soft/medium water)
For soft/medium water you're safe with Basalt,Granite,Quartz,Slate and Hard Sandstone. Unsafe are Soluble rocks, Calcarous rocks(Acid test) and shells.
If it's a hard water setup you can use soluble rocks and calcerous rocks that don't have any metalic ore veins. Don't use any rocks that might have any metallic ore in them.

k thats a quick guide but the amount of rocks available are large so I'd be here untill next year typing.

I've used loads of rock found in open places, like you I never know what it is. Just follow everyone elses coments and you should be fine :D

cheers ta folks,

think I'll nip at my wife's ears to get some silicone sealer and start some glueing :D but I'll have to get some washing done first :(

Duncan

THE ultimate test to see if rocks or other outworldly things will be neutral in your tank is to apply some vinegar. If they bubble, even a bit, then no. If not, then youre safe. Scrub em to get any outside critters out, and go nuts. My chichlid setup was made that way. Im no paying 15 bucks a little rock from my lfs. I go down to the local quarry and pick slabs up.

Xcrown

Thanks Xcrown

it sounds like a good idea, I'll see if I can try it over the weekend, I haven't got glueing yet, haven't done any washing either. I actually bought a bag of cornish cobbles and some wee pebbles for decorative purposes, I'm not keen on me dayglo gravel - it'll slowly get changed.

Duncan

Duncan. Pete probably could have sent you some authenic Cornish cobbles rather than by the stuff from one of the local places in Aberdeen.

Well yes actually i could of lmao :p

But seriously i go to the local beaches and take stone from there including a kind of compressed sand that forms into very soft rock that can be sculpted with a drill to make some really effective decorations :D , as well as that my Malawi Cichlids love it as it pushes the ph of the tank right up , now some of you might of read in the papers about people destroying the coast line by removing rocks etc from beaches! :0 , well the secret i have is to get permission from the beach owners as very often they are more than happy to let you take a few sacks of the stuff as it needs shifting anyways :p :grin:

I also go beachcombing in the summer evenings looking for that "out of the ordinary" rock that will make a center piece in my tank lol

By the way............. a general rule of thumb when using beach rock is to not use anything that looks unnatural ie man made, and also to avoid the white coloured stones as these contain poisonus minerals. :what:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back