Stoking Questions

I don't know, over in the gourami section (and in the dwarf gourami file) it seems that you should have multiple females to one male. Would I still have room for the rams and Keyhole cichlids? Also, any tips on keeping these?
Also, would I have room to add 1 platy and 1 guppy eventually?
 
List what your final stocking would look like please. Also 1 inch per gallon is a guideline. If you have good filtration and/or can maintain high water quality, you can "overstock". None of the fish you've said you want are highly sensitive anyway, they're actually fairly hardy.

As for keeping keyholes and bolivians, just make sure there are hiding places for both species and for each fish. So that means plenty of plants and a few rocks and/or caves (via terracotta pots or some such). Plants help break up line of sight and the rocks/caves are more for territory/sleeping places.

A varied diet is beneficial too. Also what temperature is your tank currently at?

As for a previous question on price, anything over 10$ AU per fish is probably excessive, but you should keep in mind the availability of that fish in your area ie. generally the more remote your location, the more expensive the fish.
 
i got some blue rams at the weekend and they are great i got 2 x male + 2 x female and they are all getting on wonderfully. females have a pinky/purple belly so i was told. very colourful and beautifull fish indeed. i also have them with dwarf gouramis and a polka dot loach with no probs..... :good:
 
4 platys
4 guppies
2 bolivian rams
2 Keyhole Cichlids

Helpful? I currently haave a HOB, and am building a sponge filter. :)
 
Also, would coconut huts work as caves?

Edit for my thoughts:
Perhaps I could have either bolivian rams or keyhole cichlids, then up the livebearers a little bit, or try some different fish. WHich of the two species are less teritorial when they pair off?
And actually.... it's not like I have my heart set on it, but is there any suitable fish who actually takes care of it's young? I think it would be cute, and interesting to watch.
Also, it says multiple female gouramis should be kept to one male. Sooo, add on 3 dwarf gouramis. :)

another edit:
Maybe I could get some swordtails and then just more gourami of a different species. Someone help me decide!
 
Well based on your first post as well as one of your more recent ones, I'd suggest something like:
4 platys
4 guppies
3 gourami (1m2f)
2 bolivian rams or 2 Keyhole Cichlids (you could have actually have both if you wanted)
6 corys

There would even be space to add a shoal of smaller fish, but I excluded these to better allow for fry (though you should consider a small shoal of 6 tetras if your keyholes are still hiding after a month). I can't comment on which is more aggressive when spawning. Bolivians only chase other fish away they don't actually cause any harm, I assume it's the same for keyholes. Coconut caves would be fine for bolivians but too small for keyholes.

As for fish that take care of their young, pretty much any cichlid will do that. Perhaps you could research some mouth brooding african cichlids though (I don't think they're suitable for your tank but)?

edit: caves aren't necessary for keyholes either, just somewhere where they can hide is fine, whether it's plants, wood, rocks etc. doesn't matter.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top