Stoking Questions

Platygirl11

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
565
Reaction score
1
Points
0
I'm fairly new to the world of fish keeping, meaning that I'm only experienced with livebearers and (sort of) bettas.

Anyway, I have a 38 gal aquarium with 3 guppies, 3 platys, and 1 (male) dwarf gourami. (I also have a 10 gal with 6 female bettas). I would like to add some fish that are not livebearers to the 38 gal. A fish that fit most of these characteristics would be ideal:
• Not aggressive
• One that I could breed, possibly. (I do not have to, though)
• OK with my current stocking
• Hardy
• One that doesn't require too much specialty care.

My PH is around 7.5. I assume that matters.
 
I've just added a couple of Rams to my community tank and they seem very happy atm. You should probably add another Gourami, as I'm sure you're really supposed to keep them in pairs. Some bottom feeders would probably work well, a Pleco or 5-6 cory cats? Maybe some loaches if your prefer them.
 
Mmmmmkay, so how do you tell male from female dwarf gouramis? (I told you I was new, be patient please. :) )
 
Oh, and more info on rams would be nice. Like a link to a page on rams.
 
Rams can be very delicate and may not be suitable for a beginner (there is nothing more off-putting to the hobby than buying a fish and having is pass within the week)

Id recommend upping the gouramis. Males have more pointed fins whereas the females are more rounded... Try googling it for photos and see if you can tell the difference. Failing that - stick a question up in the relevent section of the forum and Im sure someone will be able to help - maybe take photos of their fish and point out the diffs.

Some cories would definately be a good addition as they really liven up the bottom of an aquarium and are very playfull little fellows.

Can I ask - is that USA gallons or UK gallons? just trying to work out the tank volume in litres (Im no good at gallons)

If you have plenty of floor space to go then Id be tempted by a few dwarf cichlids. Apistogrammas. Look up in google (other search engines are available - IM NOT ADVERTISING! :) ) Things like checkerboard cichlids, cockatoo dwarf cichlids, etc. Lots of different types.
 
bolivian rams
blue rams

Since you're after hardy, you'd probably want bolivian rams instead of blue rams.

Sexing dwarf gourami:
Sexing: Males are brightly colored, larger, and have a more pointed dorsal fin. Females are mostly silver, occasionally with a hint of other colors. They are smaller and also chubbier in the midsection.

I'd actually go for a pair of keyhole cichlids and either 5-6 corys or loaches. I'd also be looking to add 1 more gourami and a shoal of small fish (like cardinels or rummys).
 
Rams are simply amazing, and are actually my favourite fish.

However as a beginner you may benefit from getting apistos rather than rams as they tend to be a bit hardier fish, and eaisier to look after.
look up cockatoo apistogrammas, they are very nice and colourful. or alternitivley look at kribensis these are also really nice.
 
Don't cichlids need a long tank? I would love to have them, my tanks about 3 feet long.
I'm talking US gallons.
Should the gourami be female? Do I need to worry about aggression?
Keyhole cichlids. Hmmmm. :) What is the male/ female ratio with them?

If I do get egg layers which can be bred, it would be interesting if they cared for their babies. So cute! :)
 
Your tank is about 140 litres and 3ft long (as you just told us). Which is large enough for 2 keyhole cichlids and 2 rams/3 apistos. The preferred ratio for keyholes is 1m/1f, same for rams but some apistos it's better to go with 1m/2f.

The gourami should be opposite sex to your current one, or female if you can't tell (post pics and ppl will help id your current for you).

Since you intend to breed them you might want to avoid plecs, corys and loaches as they will most likely eat the eggs.
 
Pics of my gourami:


Does that help? Anyoe have pics of a female?
 
Thats a male because he is red with blue stripes, females are silver with faint blue stripes. Very beautiful. I have 2 keyhole cichlids and they are lovely peaceful fish but i don't know hot to sex them, i think they're both male and they get along fine. Personally i would go for 2 keyholes and maybe some albino corys.
 
Definately a male :D
I would go with cories as they are forever active! I love my loaches too but if you want something you will see more often then thye wouldnt be ideal as they hide alot, especially if they are insecure!!
 
He's blue with red stripes... :)
So, what would be a good price to pay for a Keyhole Cichlid or a Bolivian Ram? I don't want to over pay. :)
Also, what is the male/female ratio of a bolivian ram?
 
Rams should be kept in pairs, like the Gourami. I tried to get a male and a female with my new Goldern Rams not sure if I've managed it tho...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top