🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Currently have a 225 Gallon with the following stock:
Journal link is below.

50 x RummyNose
50 x Cardinals
10 x Denison Barbs/Roseline Sharks (Just got them, they look amazing swimming)
10 x Sterbai Cories
10 x Ottos
5 x Different kinds of bristlenose Plecos
1 x Betta
1 x Rainbow Shark

Initially the tank was pretty full because I had 6 Discus but they are now gone, and the tank seems a bit empty.
I want to fill the tank so it constantly looks like fish are swimming back and forth.

Few options I was thinking.

Rainbows (But I have done them in the past, so not sure if I want to go that route again)
Angels (Was suggested Pinoys, don't know how I feel about them)
I was thinking Tiger Barbs, 30 of them but everyone says they nip no matter the number.

Am I forgetting another species that would be a great addition to the tank in large numbers?

Thank you!
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/updated-and-redone-225-gallon-planted-tank-build.453685/

How about some smaller peaceful cichlids like rams?

Cherry barbs would be nice too.

I like the angels too.

I definitely think you need something with some size in a tank that big.

Rainbow sharks and beta do not fit in well here. Rainbow sharks can be aggressive and will likely eat some of the smaller fish as it gets larger and betas are just simply best left in a tank to themselves.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Great looking tank you have there! Hats of to you :drinks:

I agree with Metalhead with the Rainbow shark and the Betta. I think you will have problems soon enough. Id stay clear of the tiger barbs too.

Not sure on how the Denison Barbs are in nature but if their peaceful i think a nice big group of Congo tetra would look the business in your tank. Beautiful species
:fish:

Yeah as the previous posts stated about the rainbow shark and betta, my choice would be the denison barbs and a big school of odessa barbs which are amazing looking in big numbers, i had some until my sister killed them all while i was in america by overfeeding them, in the same tank i also had bala sharks which went well with the other ones, along with some other small barbs and medium sized tetras.

A suggestion for bottom feeders are bamboo shrimp, they get quite big and they're really cute when feeding, they stick their hands up in the water current and catch small particles of food and eat it, i would have maybe 5 of them, do make sure they're compatible with the tank mates you choose because shrimp are often a nice treat for some.

maxresdefault.jpg

Also another fish i keep in group of 10 is kuhli loaches, they're like little small eels and go around cleaning the bottom of your tank.

Last edited:
You guys are really against Betta's in Community Tanks I see haha, I'm the opposite, I honestly believe they are great tank mates, I know its a mixed opinion whether they should be in community tanks or not. But depending on the temper of the Betta, I have never had issues. I keep a close eye on the first 2 weeks and see how everyone interacts and then go from there. Initially the Betta was swimming with the RummyNose, but now he just stays to himself exploring the rocks and the surface, occasionally resting with the Corys. One of my favorite fish, so if I ever felt he was stressed, he'd be out in a heartbeat.

The Rainbow on the other hand, I can't argue. Had one in the past that became a bully as he got older, but this guy was the last at Petsmart and he looked horrible, so I took my chances, but I know he may become a problem.

But so far, so good, I'll take pictures, but I have a huge community of Cherry Shrimp that just keep producing babies and they walk in the open on the driftwood like it's nobody's business, unreal how they don't get eaten, also the bristlenose babies have survived as well.

But going to look into the Congo, local supplier always gets some in, and probably going to pick up a pair of rams as well.
Thanks for the responses!

The Denison Barbs will basically fill this tank. They attain 6 inches, and you have ten which is a very good number for this species.

You do have all lower-level fish though. The barbs, cories, rummynose and cardinals are all lower-half level fish (they will only rise above this if stressed or bothered by something). So any additional fish should be upper-level. These will need to be active fish, so nothing like hatchetfish.

As you posted while I was typing, my view on the Betta. This is not a community fish. This is not my opinion, it is just accepted fact by the scientific community. As with most any fish, individuals may act contrary to the norm for the species, but this is not justifiable reason for forcing them into such a situation. The Betta does not appreciate tankmates, that is in their nature, and they may be under stress whether we can see it or not. Most stress is unseen by any of us, but it is still there, doing its dirty work. I wouldn't risk any fish just to prove it wrong.

Last edited:
I've had a betta with a couple hundred baby guppies as tankmates in a long tank and he seemed fine and was really healthy, after i moved the guppies to be sorted i kept him with some tetras and he still was fine, that was maybe 2 years ago and sadly he died a year ago from seemingly nothing, on the other hand i had another betta which was just aggressive at everything so i had him by himself in a 10 gallon and he still lives on to this day, it really depends on the temperament of the betta and sometimes you get lucky and get a really nice one and sometimes you get a bully, but i agree with Byron in that they are best kept by themselves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back