Stocking My 65g

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I know my name isn't Lynden, but if you ask me that fish list for a 50g is both overstocked and a recepie for disaster. Maroon clowns are bigtime bullies and in a small tank like a 50 may end up killing other inhabitants longterm. Also, a mandarin is not suited to a tank this small. Bare minimum of a 75g, prefferably a 90g. Perhaps ditching the maroon clowns and instead having something like a niger triggerfish would be a better option. But I'd listen to lynden on triggers since he's definitely "the man" in that department :)

I agree with SkiFletch. Maroon Clowns are not only belligerent with age, but they can reach a length of 8''; pushing it for a 50 gallon tank.

Niger Triggers grow much too large for a 50 gallon, but a young specimen or a small fish of the Sufflamen genus could easily be accomodated.

Snowflake eels can/will consume crabs and non-cleaner shrimp. If the animal is well fed, it will probably leave most everything alone. Again, they may outgrow a 50 gallon in time but this probably won't be for several years. :)

-Lynden

do you think this is overstocked
pair of nemos :rolleyes:
1 carpenters wrasse
2-3 bangaii cardinals
1 labouts fairy wrasse/lineatus fairy wrasse (depends)
mandarin
does this seem okay. if this isnt overstocked what type of trigger would you recommend that wouldnt eat crustaceans and coral. hat scientific names as i cant remember every single one so could you tell me just the normal name. think iw ill give up on the snowflake eel then. thanks so much

Not overstocked in the slightest. I would however highly reccommend switching the mandarin with an animal that will eat prepared foods.

As for triggers, try the Lei/Scymitar (Sufflamen bursa). :good:

-Lynden

on liveaquaria it says that it needs min. tank size of 70 gallons, is aggresive, and is not reef compatible. is this true. my tank is only a 50 gallon and he gorw to 9 inches. also dont want him picking on my other fish like the clowns. would a fingered dragonet be okay instead of the mandarin. what if i found a mandarin that was eating prepared foods? thanks :good:

If you could find a mandarin that was eating prepared foods in the LFS, then yeah it would be OK to buy him. Don't hold your breath though, as such fish are definitely diamonds in the rough. And I say out the Labouti and the Lineatus in there. GORGEOUS fish :)

i was thinking about putting the lineatus in instead of the labouts. only problem is they are so expensive :crazy:

Liveaquaria can be a good resource, but with triggers especially they are a pack of idiots. But in any case, the wrasse would be an equally good choice. :good:

wait the wrasse instead of the trigger or either of the wrasses i mentioned. so the bursa would get too big for my tank and would it attack my other fish, inverts, and corals or not?

Sufflamen *may* eventually grow too large for your tank; a search on Fishbase revealed that to me. :blush: For future reference, that genus does not feed on coral, but they may attack polychaetes (including tube worms), small shrimps, and small snails, especially if underfed.

In your case I would recommend the wrasse instead of the trigger. :good:

-Lynden

just got pair of occelaris clowns :hyper: they are so cool. also found a tiny sea slug and what looks like a sea worm. is this okay for them to be in there? i have heard about them hitchhiking like mantis shrimp so i guess it should be okay. just want to make sure. dont think i will get the rigger or the lineatus or labouts. so here it is i think
pair of clowns
mandarin
3-4 cardinals
carpenters wrasse
what else would you recommend
also have a cleaner shrimp and am going to get another

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back