Stocking My 65g

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of saving up enough $ for my 65g (48x18x18") reef tank. It'll be a while until I get enough money, so while I'm waiting, I figured I'd decide on the fish I want. Here's my stocking plan:
2 clarkii clownfish
1 Pinkbar Goby + Red banded Pistol Shrimp
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Tang
7 Chromis

I've looked around for tank sizes for yellow tangs, and most places say 55g or 75g. However, I haven't seen a site that specifies the dimensions of a 75g. According to glasscages.com, a 75g can be 48x18x21, which is only 2" taller than the 65. I know height doesn't matter that much as length so I think it'll be okay for the tang longterm.

So... that leaves me with 12 fish. Too many? Any aggression problems?

In addition, I would like to know what people think about their own chromis. Are they active? Do they stay together? How many do you have? How big is the tank you have them in? Could you post a video?

Your stock list should present no problems, though it could use a small trigger or wrasse. :hey:

By the way, Pinkbar Gobies rule.

I don't really want a wrasse... or trigger. I just don't like them too much.

Still want some input on the Chromis though.

I don't really want a wrasse... or trigger. I just don't like them too much.

Still want some input on the Chromis though.

I have three chromis in a 48" tank - great fish!

Stick together most of the time in a little shoal and don't seem to bother any of the other fish. Seem pretty hardy too - never seen any whitespot or lack of apetite, will eat anything I give em. Doesn't seem much aggression between themselves either - just the odd nudge, pecking order I guess?

A shoal of 7 should look great :good:

I have 6 Chromis and tonight i'm getting 3 out of my tank. I have a 55G. The reason why i'm getting rid of them is because they catch all the food first and then my bottom fish don't get a chance to get any of the food. They are wicked cool and they grooup together and all that fun stuff. I personally think that I have too many of the same fish in my tank.

Depending on the size of your tank and the arrangement of your rocks the Tang will be fine in your 65G. Change your yellow tang for something else....everyone has a yellow Tang. I had one and I sold it to get something else. I just ordered a Flame Angel and Copperband Butterfly.

I like a yellow tang... :unsure: Maybe I'll look at other kinds of tangs....
Thanks for the input on the chromis, though. I think it'll work nicely. The only other thing I'm worried about is introducing the chromis. Should I get them all at one time or is it too much? I'm planning on having 70-85 pounds of LR. If not, should I do 3 then 4?

When added mine mytank had been setup for about 6 months. I bought 6 and put them all in there at the same time. No amonia spike.

Enjoy!!!

Okay, thank you! One last question - Do you think they'll be okay with a snowflake eel? What about the pistol shrimp, would it be eaten?

The Moray would almost definitely eat the pistol shrimp. Not that it's that big of a deal; the moray is a better pet than the shrimp could ever hope to be in my opinion.

Before you rule out triggers, remember that not all of them are big, mean bullies; many are quite the opposite, and all are very personable.

Wrasses, well... most of the coolest ones are killing machines (Slingjaw Wrasse; Razor Wrasse; Dragon Wrasse), but there are smaller species, and some larger ones (Harlequin Tusk), that do suffer a bad rep and that can be great reef fish. They are possibly the most diverse of all marine families, so it would be quite a stretch to say that you do not like any of the wrasses.

You may need to read my 'reef safe' article; the link can be found in my "signature". :hey:

-Lynden

I think I would definately like the eel more than the shrimp... Will the goby be okay without the shrimp?
I just don't like triggers. I've seen them in aquariums and stuff, it's just I don't like them as much as other fish.
If I did get a wrasse it would be a sixline. I like their appearance more than most other wrasses, the others that I do like cost way too much.

so then my stocking would be:
1 Snowflake Eel
2 clarkiis
1 royal gramma
1 yellow tang
7 chromis
1 pinkbar goby

Then that's 12 fish and an eel. I think that would be too much, 'cause the eel and tang get big. Anyone else?

I tend to count schools of small fish as less than other fish. You could try it. If you're worried, knock the chromis' numbers down a little... no harm done.

P.S....
read this. Just one more try at converting you. :lol:

Nope, no wrasse. :D
I guess 6 chromis, then. But I've heard that having even numbers causes problems. Is this true?

Ohh, fine. Suit yourself. :lol:

If you feel that even numbers will be a problem, stick with five. You don't want to have a monoculture anyways, do you? :good:

Not really... actually I probably won't even have any chromis now, cause I kinda wanted a big group, but I wanted a few other fish too, and I can't have all the other fish I wanted without having a small group of chromis. Buuut, I don't want a small group of chromis, so I'll just have no chromis at all! :rolleyes:

SO... New stocking:
1 Snowflake Moray Eel
1 Yellow Tang OR 1 Blue Tang
1 Royal Gramma (unless it would cause problems)
1 Sixline Wrasse (okay, I lied, I really DO like the six line. :p )
1 Engineer Goby
2 clarkii clownfish
maybe 1 flame angel.... maybe
Could I have any anthias or is the tank too small?

Also, would a Niger trigger be okay? :rollseyes:
It's in the Odonus genus like it said in your article, Lynden, but liveaquaria said it's not reef safe. Will it eat hermit crabs and corals?

I know I'm kinda going against everything I said in my last posts but i went on reef central and saw some videos of triggerfish. :D Now I want one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back