Stocking My 65g

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tank's too small for most anthias unfortunately. As for the Triggers, I always leave that to Lynden :D

Niger Triggers are suitable as juveniles for most tanks, but unfortunately they have this horrible habit of getting huge; they can reach 20'' in the wild. Try the genus Sufflamen or smaller Xanthichthys; otherwise, be prepared to rehome the Odonus if it decides to grow over 10''; luckily, they often do not. :drool:

The rest are all fine, but if you want a blue tang, I would advise sticking to Acanthurus caeruleus; not only are they a more elegant fish in my opinion (than the other 'blue' tang, Paracanthurus), they also stay smaller and are less boisterous.

Lastly, liveaquaria is wrong. :devil: Odonus are about as reef safe as you can get, with the exception of sponges and a few types of shrimp, which they will likely eat. They do not eat corals, snails, brittle stars, or hermit crabs on any occasion.

-Lynden

So will a blue throat trigger be okay(Xanthichthys auromarginatus)?
If so, that's 8 fish, and 3 of them get pretty big. So I think that'll probably be it for the tank, unless someone can suggest one more active, colorful fish that's medium sized (~6 inches).

One last thing, is the tank too small for an Achilles tang?

So will a blue throat trigger be okay(Xanthichthys auromarginatus)?
Short answer; yes. For a few years at least.

One last thing, is the tank too small for an Achilles tang?
A juvenile could live in there, but adults will become extremely territorial and jittery in small tanks. Achilles Tangs aren't very suitable for aquaria in my opinion. They are one tang that seem to like to live in the "surge zones" near rocky shores rather than the slow reefs like most tangs; surge zones are difficult (and expensive) to replicate in captivity.

As for another fish I would suggest. Choerodon fasciatus is what you could call a "dream fish" for me; big, mean-looking teeth, bright colour, a gentle demeanor, and, surprisingly, lacking a liking for the taste of most ornamental invertebrates. Oops, I forgot; you don't like wrasses do you? :p :lol:
lg_75891.jpg

If you do decide to buy this fish, remember to only buy Australian specimens; stay away from those of Indonesia, Singapore, et cetera. Also, these fish may outgrow a 65 gallon in a few years.

-Lynden

Thanks for all the info Lynden and Skifletch and whoever else contributed.
I like that fish, Lynden, but I think it's kinda big for what I wanted. I'll look into it a little more and we'll see if I still like it when I actually get my tank. :D Thanks again!

I'm baaaaack!

I think I've found a last fish, I just need to know if it'll work...
So, the fish I want is Pterois volitans (volitan lionfish) and I'm pretty sure it'll eat the clownfish, won't it? Would it eat any other fish? Or is it just too big for the tank?

given enough time it will eat any fish that it can get into its mouth... And a fullgrown volitan has a BIG mouth. I dont know for sure but my guess would be that a tankmate would have to be at LEAST 4" long to live with a full-grown volitan

At least. A full grown P. volitans can reach 16'' in length; not only big enough to inhale most other community fish, but to easily outgrow a 65 gallon tank. Stick to a species that maxes out at no more than 8''.

ive got a lil baby P. volitans in my sig.
and from what i obsessivly read about them, they are in some instances reef safe, However u need larger reef fish such as tangs, and
the possiblilty of a small lionfish that grows up with tons of other small fish,. is less likely to eat them then if u bought a large one. but all in all they are predators and nature is nature...
LOVELY fish though :)

Okay thanks everyone. So I should be okay getting a dwarf lionfish, then?
Also, I'm assuming at least one of these fish/eels will eat a longspine sea urchin, right? So I can just give up on that...

As far as I know, none of them will eat a longspine urchin. They have a formidable defense tactic; it is not the urchin who will be in danger in your tank. :crazy:

As far as I know, none of them will eat a longspine urchin. They have a formidable defense tactic; it is not the urchin who will be in danger in your tank. :crazy:

Will anything try to attack the urchin and get hurt??

Doubtfully, but even still... the moray may run into it one day. If I were you I would stick to a blunt spined urchin such as a pencil.

sorry to crash your topic n3ont3tra but this is for lynden. i have a 50 gallon salt tank that is currently cycling (since beggining of may) and i was wondering if this stock was okay
pair of maroon clown
mandarin
maybe carpenters wrasse
maybe lineatus fairy wrasse
maybe labouts fairy wrasse
maybe pair of firefish (depends if my dad like them or not)
3-4 bangaii cardinals
some neon gobies

please tell me if this is overstocked. dont thyink these guys grow over 4 inches most of them (maybe maroon clown). notice the maybes too. was thinking about getting a snowflake eel, would he be okay with these guys or would he eat them. also we have a sally lightfoot crab, a cleaner shrimp, and may get a blood red shrimp. would these be okay with these guys. also if this isnt overstocked (which it may be), could i get a trigger in there and if i can what would you recommend. i have live rock and am going to have some corals

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back