Stocking Ideas For 95L Or 79L Tank (60Cm Long Or 50Cm Long)

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
As above really. I've finally decided what I'm doing this coming summer with regard to my fish and moving into my student house. Because I have to move out again during the 3month summer break next year I figured I'd cut back on my fish stock.

I plan to partition my roma 125 into two using one of the following options...
The smaller partition will be holding blue tiger shrimp, but I am unsure on what to put on the other side.

possiblepartitions.gif

So two questions really, which option would you go for (20cm shrimp side or 30cm shrimp side)?
And then after choosing that what would you put in the other side. As I'm trying to cut down on fish numbers I'm thinking along the lines of a pair of fish, or a small group (but probably nothing like tetra...far too much effort to catch).
There are two conditions for the fish, they must be comfortable in temperatures around 23-25C and be adaptable to a wide range of water hardness (so nothing like a molly that would struggle in the soft water in Sheffield)

I can't believe I hadn't even thought of them. They might be little monsters to catch... but they are incredibly cute... hmm definitely on the maybe list. :D

Laetacaras :) sp.Buckelkopf or breeding pair of larger cichlids? Cons, Sajica etc just thinking they would be easy to catch and move and you could syphon the babies into buckets etc and raise them on the shrimp side till they were big enough to go back in with mum and dad.

hehe mine are funny, never had to catch them since, the nice lady who gave them to me :D caught them and bagged them all without removing them from the water,as to not get air in there bellie's...i let them go under water and been in tank since, real funny to watch<with a magnyfying glass :lol:

The Laetacara sp. 'buckelkopf' (after a quick googling) look really nice, as do Sajicas. And they would have the whole of the right hand section to themselves (with the exception of fry if they ever bred of course), but do you not think they might still feel a bit cramped?
I'm a bit either or on that...cause in essence they probably have more room than in a 'average' set-up as they wouldn't have to share with anything else.

Edit: Just to add I've spent the past 20minutes with the help of google translator to try to put together a reasonable e-mail in german to a few german companies that stock blue tigers. Can't believe how rare they still are in the UK.

I've been doing some research and this is the list I've come up with at the moment. Some are on the boundary of being 'suitable' for the length of space they would have, but they have a decent height and will be the sole inhabitants.

Dwarf Flag Cichlid - Laetacara curviceps
Sajica/T-Bar Cichlid - Archocentrus sajica
Rainbow Cichlid - Herotilapia multispinosa
Keyhole Cichlid - Cleithracara maronii
Seven-Stripe Cichlid - Archocentrus septemfasciatus
Cutter's Cichlid - Archocentrus sp. 'cutteri'
Rio Miua Apisto - Apistogramma sp. 'Miua'
Honduran Red Point - Cryptoheros sp. 'honduran red point'
Nijsseni's Dwarf Cichlid - Apistogramma nijsseni

My favourite at the moment is probably the Seven-Stripe Cichlid, but I can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them...

Narrowed it down to just 5 possibilities now :)

Dwarf Flag Cichlid - Laetacara curviceps

Rainbow Cichlid - Herotilapia multispinosa

Sajica/T-Bar Cichlid - Archocentrus sajica

Seven-Stripe Cichlid - Archocentrus septemfasciatus

Nijsseni's Dwarf Cichlid - Apistogramma nijsseni

Opinions and additional ideas would be very appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back