Stocking ideas, 125l Juwel Lido.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stanster59

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After an unfortunate incident , I'll be looking to partially restock my tank.
Currently have 3 neon rasbora ( possibly add another 3), 1 peppered Cory ( would add some more ) and 6 sparkling Guorami.
Would like to add a dwarf cichlid, was thinking Bolivian ram.

Any other suggestions to what else I could add, what would be my capacity ?
Rasbora are top/middle level, everything else near the bottom, so something middle dwelling possibly.

Ta.

A 125 liter (= 33 gallons) tank of the dimensions of the Juwel Lido (according to their data) is about as small as I would recommend for one Bolivian Ram (with other fish, not meaning alone, but just the one ram). It will remain in the lower third of the tank, so the small gourami should not be problematic; gourami and cichlids generally do not mix, but as always there are exceptions that may work.

Peaceful mid-level fish could be the Trigonostigma species of rasbora; either T. hengeli or T. espei as they are a bit smaller than the more common T. heteromorpha. These two in a group (just one of the species) of 8-9. And increase the two existing shoaling species as you suggest.

A 125 liter (= 33 gallons) tank of the dimensions of the Juwel Lido (according to their data) is about as small as I would recommend for one Bolivian Ram (with other fish, not meaning alone, but just the one ram). It will remain in the lower third of the tank, so the small gourami should not be problematic; gourami and cichlids generally do not mix, but as always there are exceptions that may work.

Peaceful mid-level fish could be the Trigonostigma species of rasbora; either T. hengeli or T. espei as they are a bit smaller than the more common T. heteromorpha. These two in a group (just one of the species) of 8-9. And increase the two existing shoaling species as you suggest.

thank you, was considering hengeli as my shoaling species.
My water is medium hard and the fish store said the Bolivian ram is one they stock, he didn't recommend apistos. Any other dwarf species I could consider.

I will.graduall y restock so I'm no hurry.

Hi :) It's a good idea to look for stocking ideas for when you're ready to re-stock, just a warning to wait until you've figured out why your tank has been showing ammonia and nitrites before adding more fish... (from your previous thread.) Not a good idea to introduce new stock while the water parameters remain unstable or when you've lost fish for an unknown reason. @Colin_T says to wait a month after a fish death before adding any new fish.

Also a reminder to quarantine new stock ;)

Hi :) It's a good idea to look for stocking ideas for when you're ready to re-stock, just a warning to wait until you've figured out why your tank has been showing ammonia and nitrites before adding more fish... (from your previous thread.) Not a good idea to introduce new stock while the water parameters remain unstable or when you've lost fish for an unknown reason. @Colin_T says to wait a month after a fish death before adding any new fish.

Also a reminder to quarantine new stock ;)
Not adding anything anytime soon, I need to make sure my remaining stock survives and monitor water for a month.

Tank all set up and running now, all I have sadly is as above sadly none of the neon green survived, so will be looking for a top level fish, I'm thinking glolight danio, unless advised otherwise.
Thinking of adding half of the rasbora hengeli to start and then gradually build up my stock again.

Danio choprae (so-called glowlight danio) should be fine here, with the T. hengeli and the solitary Bolivian Ram. Plus the sparkling gourami and a group of cories, if they are still in the frame.

BTW, when adding shoaling fish, add the entire intended number of the species together if at all possible; they will always settle in faster with less chance of more stress if the larger group is together from the start. There is also the hierarchy aspect, for example, males of D. choprae are territorial, and the larger the group the less chance of trouble; adding more later may not always work.

the only other change I might make is with the corys, I have one peppered Cory left, so might change there.
There was a thread where someone has done a list from seriously fish detailing suitability of some species , but I can't find it is :(.
I'm lea ning toward Sterbai.

Stock list :

Living World Canterbury

CATFISH

Synodontis Petricola
Synodontis occelifer
Synodontis valetiana
synodontis yellow head
synodontis zebra
synodontis multipuntatus
Wallago catfish
pteradorus ( 8" )
corydora bronze
corydora bronze longfin
corydora peppered
corydora panda
corydora brochis splenden
corydora sterbai
ottocinclus
corydora septentrionalis
corydora elegans
dwarf giraffe catfish
jaguar catfish

The Lido 120 has a small footprint for the volume - 61 x 41 cm (24 x 16 inches).

That rules out everything on your lest except corydoras. If you like Corydoras sterbai, they should be OK in this tank.

Synodontis need a tank at least 90 cm/36 inches long.
Wallagos are enormous - several feet long and need a swimming pool sized tank (no shop should be selling these)
Pterodoras are also way too big
Jaguar catfish need a 120 cm/48 inch long tank
Dwarf giraffe catfish aren't as big as some of those tank busters but at 24 cm they are still much too big for this tank.

I was a bit worried when I read your list :) ;)

I thought it was only cories but I put the comments at the bottom of my post in case anyone else wanted them for a tank the same size.

Going in tomorrow to pick up the rasbora, they have Harlequins,Glowlight, Copper,Purple and Scissortail.
Are the purples a variant of the harlequin ?
Ive seen them before and they do look nice.

Purple aka black harlequins are a selectively bred 'ordinary' harlequins, Trigonostigma heteromorpha, with (usually) dark bodies and orange noses.
Copper harlequins are one of the two harlequin lookalikes - either Trigonistigma espei or T. hengeli. Different shops use the same common name for both species.
Glowlight could be glowlight tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus) or glowlight danios (Celestichthys choprae)
Scissortail rasboras (Rasbora trilineata) are big fish which need a tank at least 120 cm long, over twice the length of the Lido 120.

From what I remember the glowlight is what they called the hengeli.
If I'm getting glowlight danio then the tank might be a bit samey so I might go for the purple harlequins instead.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back