Stocking Help

freshcichlid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My friend is looking to set up his tank that he hasnt used in a while :clap: , he said it was about as big as mine :thumbs: , 40gallon. he wants to know if he can combine kuhli loaches, cory cats, plecos and some ram cichlids. im not sure how many of each but will they all go together ?
thanks

Yep, khulis, cories, rams, and plecos all get along great together.
In my tank I have 4 khulis, 1 Bolivian ram, 6 cories, and 4 plecos. Just make sure your friend doesn't get a common pleco. They get way too big for a 40G. I have one in my 75G, and I'm wanting to upgrade because he is getting so big.

Bristlenoses are usually available a lot, and would be great for a 40G. He might also look into tiger or clown plecos. If they go with clown plecos, remember that they don't eat algea - they rasp wood, and prefer to live in groups. I think the bristlenose is the best pleco choice for your friend.

only problem i can see is adding so much to the bottom layer of the tank....he is going to want more fish for the middle and top and starting off with that many bottom dwellers is going to severly limit what he can stock in the future...it will look REALLY empty with that current stock list

I talked to him and he agrees about the too many on the bottom, so what if he got 2 kuhli, 2 pleco, 4-6 cory and 6 rams ? can you have a lot of rams together, that way the tank will look fine.. right ?
what other cool fish can he get, he doesnt want any barbs, gourami, tetra or anything in that matter, maybe a pair of something larger, that wont eat any of the other fish ??
thanks

and no angels, maybe if somebody had a page or something i could look at a lot of compatible fish that would be great, i think hes wanting a pair of something larger though, so any suggestions would be great. thanks

I'd go with 5-6 Kuhlis if you can find them. They're "out of season" right now. They prefer to be in larger groups. Maybe a pair of flame or dwarf gourami. Or perhaps some sort of Rainbow like Bosemani's.

Perhaps one ram, six khulis, four cories, one pleco, six neons, cardinals or some type of dither fish for the ram, and a group of hatchets for the top? That way he'd have action at all levels of the tank and still get the ones he likes. Of course, he might not like tetras, but it's just an example of layering with fish I know...

I like all those options, he is not liking the neons or gouramis, gotta be somethin bigger ! no angels either ! haha sorry i know.
can he put in a lot of rams? like.. 4 rams, 4 kuhli, 6cory, 2pleco ?
also are convict cichlids or jewels ok ?
also a "blue dempsey" - something like that with color ?

Thing I'm thinking is the more rams, the more likely they are to pair up, and if you end up with only one pair you could end up with the pair not being so kind towards the two left over.

Convicts, from what I read, wouldn't work at all. I don't know about jewels.

I'm not so found of neons myself, but if he would want a schooling type dither I think there would be plenty of options that are larger. Having some sort of dither would help the any cichlid he might get feel more secure and it would be more likely to come out.

And may I ask why two plecos? I myself have one bristlenose in my thirty and he is quite the poop machine. Unless he is a pleco fanatic, wants to breed them, has a frequent algae problem or is willing to clean the tank out as frequently as it might need I kinda don't see a reason to have more than one. Of course, it is a personal preference but it cuts down on the amount of fish you can stock should he want a lot of action in the tank, as plecos, while very neat fish, have a tendency not to be the most 'visual' fish in the tank. But like I said, personal preference.

Thing is the bigger the fish the less you can have, plus there is always the possiblity that it will eat any smaller fish. Just because they are peaceful doesn't mean that they won't go for something smaller when hungry. Heck, guppies will eat their own fry given the chance.

He could always go for bigger fish period, say a firemouth, pleco, and, I think, he could even pull of an african butterfly fish for the top if I'm not mistaken. It's hard to get larger show fish when you also want smaller fish as well. :/

ok i think i have convinced him on the angels, convics, he doesnt like the yellow ones like the one i have in my 10gallon.
but he is relaly into plecos and said he would havev more than two but you said that they poop alot. are there any pleco that he can get were he can have at least two of ?
thanks for the help here !
he has a 300+gph filter, not sure what, in case thats plenty for that amount of fish and the two pleco issue.

Like catlover said, clown plecos like groups. He could have a good sized piece of driftwood as his centerpiece and then get as many clowns as his filter and cleaning schedule can reasonably handle, plus whatever would get along with them and wouldn't overtax his tank. Balance is key.

i dont know everything he has but it is a double filter that is probably 300gph or more, and his tank is "around the size" of mine, which is 40BR, and im sure he'll clean it however he'll need to.
so any ruff estimate for him.

p.s. - im going out to get a pleco tommorrow for my tank, my recent algea patches to be exact, are albino pleco the same as common pleco, just albino? im trying to get at, will they get as big ?

No, it could be a Sailfin which gets even bigger. :D Odds are it's a common, unless it's a bristlenose, but then it would be labled as such.

how bout a school of tiger barbs for the middle/top

say 6 tiger barbs, 5 khulis, 5 cories, 2 rams, 1 pleco, for example...

you really need to get the measurements of the tank if you don't know how many gallons - it is very easy for someone to say "it is the same size as yours," but in actuality i'm sure it may be smaller than he thinks...please get us the rough dimensions so we can be sure

Most reactions

Back