Stocking A 55gal Need Some Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tank212

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I am stocking an old 55gal and needed some help. I am running two filters on it that each support 50 gallons, I think...? Anyways I want some zebras but can't decide between the red zebras or cobalt zebras. I also want yellow labs. I would like to have a little breeding colony of each. So if anyone could suggest the number I should have of each and any other african cichlids I should get that'd be great. Keep in mind that I will be buying juveniles so sexing will be difficult. So I'm probably gonna need a few of each so I have a male and female of each for sure.
I was also wondering if they would bother the albino cories I got in there. They've been in there for awhile and they are fairly old. I can move them but if I don't have to I'd prefer not.
Thanks in advance :)

zebras will definately go after the cories. it would only take one beefy male to disrupt yellow labs.

why so fixated on zebras?

I always liked the zebras plus they are pretty common where I live so it wouldn't be trouble getting any. I also like the scolofi and lombardi. I don't want the tank to be mixxed, I want just mbuna.
I'm thinking about 4 or 5 of each species and have 3 different species.

The Corys are definately a non starter, they won't last 5 mins with Mbuna. Red zebra's, cobalt zebra's and yellow labs are all relatively compatibile, although labs are less aggressive than the 2 zebra species. A ratio of 1 male to at least 3 females is advisable with the zebra's but doesn't matter too much with the labs in terms of aggression. However for breeding the more females, the better.

I figured I'd have to move the cories that's ok.
This is my current list of what I am thinking to get
6 yellow labs
4 cobalt or red zebras
1 malawi dolphin(only if my shop has it which it probably won't)
and either 3 or 4 scolofi or saulosi I can't decide.
1 albino bristlenose(already have him he is pretty old)

Do these species show alot of aggression during breeding? I am gonna have alot of caves in my tank.
Im probably gonna get the fish tomorrow or the day after. My tank has been running with just those four cories and bn pleco for awhile cause I couldn't decide what to do with the tank.

If you would like the Socolofi, then skip the cobalt zebras - their similar color could cause further aggression issues.

An mbuna tank isn't the best home for a Dolphin, they're really best kept in groups in species tanks or with other mild haplichromines.

The zebra's are going to be the most aggressive fish in the tank, but the rest of the fish you've chosen are quite tough and your plan stands a good chance of working.

Cool I think I'll just do either yellow labs and red zebras or scolofi and just get a few more of each.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back