Stocking 10 Gallon Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crupp29

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon (approximately 20" x 10" x 12") tank that I have used for fish in the past. Recently, I have been looking into getting some fish now that I have time to take proper care of them. I'm not familiar with many different species of fish and need help deciding on how to stock my tank. I've been looking into livebearers (platies specifically) and gouramis (possibly the "honey" variety). I wanted to know if it would be possible, under the right conditions, to keep some platies with a gourami. I'm not sure if they would be compatible or not. If they are, how many platies could I keep with the gourami? I've read that you can keep gouramis individually and I know that a 10 gallon tank wouldn't be enough for more than one anyway. Can anyone with experience offer advice with this decision? I appreciate it.

Hello and welcome aboard :)
I've been looking into livebearers (platies specifically)
Mmm these (and all livebearers) are(very) active and fast swimming fishes needing a larger and longer tank.

keep some platies with a gourami.
Unfortunately, no. Gouramis, whatever species, are soft and acidic water fishes while Platys (and all live-bearers) are hard and basic water fishes. In addition Gouramis are shy, territorial and slow swimming fishes. Without taking into account "honey" gourami is almost impossible to sex - your LPS is no exception - that can lead to big conflict if you keep 2 males together.

What water will you use ?

Agree. We first need to know the parameters of your source (tap) water, especially the GH (general or total hardness) and the pH for reference. Yo may be able to ascertain this data from the water authority, check their website, unless you already know.

Once we know the water, it is easy to look at fish species that will do well in that water, and that will make the hobby less work, less stressful, and more likely of success with healthier fish. :fish: Some of the named fish need more space, as mentioned in the above post. But we can probably find suitable species once we have the parameters.

I plan on using tap water. It tested 0 for nitrate, nitrite, hardness, and chlorine. It tested 300 for alkalinity and has a pH of 8.4. The tap water I use is treated with a water softener, so I can adjust the hardness (if needed). I’m also willing to treat it for alkalinity/pH (if needed).

Domestic water softener ?? Be careful, sodium is often used to soften water that will not fit many fishes.

I agree, you/we need to sort this out. First, can you bypass the "softener" and use the water pre-softener? What is the GH, KH and pH of that water? As for the softener, check into how it softens, it may be OK, or it may not.

Adjusting water parameters, specifically these are GH, KH and pH (temperature is the fourth parameter but easily dealt with), is not as simple as it sounds. The GH and KH must be dealt with but naturally, and the pH will follow, but the former serve to "buffer" the pH so without dealing with the GH/KH the pH is not going to shift, or if it does, it will bounce back and this is far worse on fish. But the GH, KH and pH of the source water on its own is the starting point.

I am able to bypass the water softener. It tested 0 for nitrate, nitrite, and chlorine. It tested 300 for hardness and alkalinity. The pH is 8.4.

I am able to bypass the water softener. It tested 0 for nitrate, nitrite, and chlorine. It tested 300 for hardness and alkalinity. The pH is 8.4.

GH of 300 ppm equates to 16 dGH which is indeed hard water. There is still the issue of how the softener operates, but leaving that for the moment, the only safe way to reduce the GH/KH and lower the pH [if this was wanted] would be to dilute the water with "pure" water such as RO. I won't get into that until we know more about the softener. And besides, in post #1 platies were mentioned.

These are livebearers, and livebearers are harder water fish. If you were to stay with livebearers (platies, swordtails, mollies, guppies, Endlers being the more common, but there are some lovely less often seen fish too) it would be fine to use the non-softened water.

The alternative water source, the second one I tested above, is not affected by the water softener.

Also, after doing further research around the fish I initially posted about, I have decided that I am no longer interested in the gouramis. Although, I am still interested in the livebearers. Some other fish I have also considered are barbs and danios (not together). I am still looking into the water requirements for each.

The alternative water source, the second one I tested above, is not affected by the water softener.
pH GH KH of that alternative water source ? 300 for hardness and alkalinity. The pH is 8.4 ?

Most reactions

Back