Stocking 10 G Question

but hello and welcome to the forum
jdpro i hope you stay around as im new myself and well allways good to have others new to the hoby

and these people are the best around if ever need any thing just ask some 1 will always be pleased to help ;) ihave learnt so much and have never known so many friendly ppl 1 place

steve..

:nod: Want to say thanks to jdpro and inchworm for the links to info on this sparkling gourami, which looks to be an interesting fish. Perhaps they will become more readily available in time. So far, I have not seen any. Do let us know how it goes with them! The body shape and fins remind me a little of the Paradise Fish, another interesting anabantid.

[Inchworm said]
I have read or heard somewhere (wish I could remember where) that males without females get along well. I am glad to hear that your experience supports this.

I started an uproar on another thread when I said that male dwarfs could co-exist peacefully. I have also read it before -- also don't know where. When I bought the fish, I had watched them at the LFS on several occasions and never observed any aggression. As I said, they are not typical dwarfs (they are tangerine-colored with no visible blue or striping) and I really have no idea whether that has anything to do with it or not. My tank and gouramis can be viewed in this thread:Alia's Pics

These fish do love to eat, but they have never shown any sign of aggression toward eachother or their tankmates (which include the smaller cherry barbs, b.w. tetras, cory cats and a female betta). Nor have I noticed any territorial behavior. The four of them are often together and inhabit all levels of the tank. They seem to behave more like a schooling fish than an aggressive and territorial one.

Alia

Inchworm said:
Are they available to you locally or will by buy them mail order?
Thanks for your reply! Okay, then, 6 it is! :D

I am going to have to buy them online since I have not seen any in the stores here. It is possible that their tiny size, coupled with the fact that they probably do not show well in stores makes them less popular than some other varieties. I don't know.

The only downside I know of about these little fishes is their short lifespan. Like the killifishes, I think they live only about a year. So I will try to breed them. If unsuccessful and they end up dying :no: I will just have to switch to some other small fish. I think they're worth a try, though.

i wish i could get sum they where exellent

1 thing i couldnt find them any where online to find out about them
B)

JD PRO YoUR A SUPER STAR M8 THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHOWING ME THIS BREeD OF FISH

i was searching the net and found MY TOWN HAS 1 THE BIGGEST AQUATICS IN KENT and further

maybe people have heard of this comapny and can avice me
MAIDENHEAD AQUATICS

well any way i rung them and asked they said YES we can get you those but will take 2 weeks for when they re order

i asked if they had others to relpy WE CAN GET ALMOST ANY FISH THATS LEgal :)

IM GETTING ALL THATS IN MY WISH LIST from them for less then any where else i can find

well heres there site THER IN SOUTH mainly
http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/

fish&chips said:

B)
Tri-mar Aquatics can often do sparkling gouramis via mail-order. Check out their website for when they come in (they haven't got any at the moment).

I'd like to make a suggestion, jdpro. :)

I strongly believe that it is worthwhile to spend the time to locate and establish a good relationship with the proprietor and employees at one or more local fish shops. By this I mean either shops that specialize in fish or pet shops having a large and well managed fish department. Most chain stores (WalMart, PetCo, etc.) do not usually meet these criteria.

If you find such a place the owner will most likely special order the fish for you. This way you will not have to pay shipping costs and deal with the problems involved with shipping live fish around. And, if the owner orders them, he might buy a whole tankful to sell which will mean you can select the ones you want. If they came through sick you would not have to buy them.

Right now I have a pair of platinum gouramis on order with my lfs. They are not too common around here but I have seen them on sale at one of the chain stores. Unfortunatly, their color was off so I did not buy them. I will wait for the ones I ordered because I know he will buy the best fish for his customers--the only ones worth breeding. Last week he couldn't get them; I'm hoping he can today!! :nod:

Alien Anna said:
fish&chips said:

B)
Tri-mar Aquatics can often do sparkling gouramis via mail-order. Check out their website for when they come in (they haven't got any at the moment).
anna i allready replied after i said i couldnt get them

Saying that i now can get them i have a hugeeee aqautics 5 mins from my house in a garden centre that i thought was gone

they are better then tri mar as they said when i whant fish SPECIAL 1S rare
or if they dont have it when they do there next order for there shop to Restock
they will order the fish specialy for me and GET THEM STRAIGHT FROM WHERE THEY GET THEM TO MY DOOR

not the shop unlike tri mar they will order the fish to there shop then send them onto me (i think) means extra shipping and sum 1 posted they orderd fish they turned up dead

and had to ring tri mar and tell them they did resend sum that where perfect he added and was Very happy But 2 fish died during it all

also i know tru mar do not have any at the moment i emaild monty he said 2 weeks and 10 days for giant danios

p.s maidenhead aqautucs are also cheaper :)bonus huh

jdpro, I think you'll really like these guys. I have 4 in a 5 gal planted tank with 3 amano shrimps and they are really characters. Some websites say they are shy, but mine don't seem to be. Sometimes they'll hide a bit but they are quick and curious, and learn the hand that feeds them swiftly. The only bad experience I had was early on when I lost one during quarantine. The tank had a 5-15 gal hob filter that set up quite a torrential flow (to a sparkler anyway). I think he just exhausted himself fighting the flow. So now their tank has a sponge filter. Since it is easier to feed lightly to a single species and the tank is lightly stocked, that seems to be sufficient filtration.

I've read that they are sexed against high light, the females have a 'cone' that the males don't have. I got mine back in Feb as immatures, and the 'cones' have just shown up so I think I have 3 females and a male, or 4 females with one that hasn't matured yet, or I'm just totally off the mark ;) . I'm starting to plan a 10-gal around these guys since I think they will like it better -- the 5-gal was an experiment when the plant clippings I kept throwing in were growing.

Good luck with these guys!

:D Wow! Here is a fish I never even heard of and someone with experience replied! This is the real value of participating in a forum like this one. It shows that EVERYONE here can learn new things. :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back