Stocking 10 G Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jdpro

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I am stocking a new 10 gallon tank. It is cycled, and has 2 ghost shrimp and 3 otocinclus. I would like to add some sparkling gouramis. How many should I put in there?

paramaters are:

pH 7.6
alkalinity 120
total hardness 25
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20

Tahitian Black Moon Sand, some natural stone, a large Anubias of some kind, Java moss and fern, and some Cryp willisii.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you can get male/female pairs of gouramis where you are (the lfs here only sells males), then you can put a pair in your tank. Otherwise, one gourami only. I'm not sure if 'sparkling' is being used as a descriptive word or if that's the type of gourami. If that's the type, I've not heard of them. Some gouramis get too big to have even one in a ten gallon tank. Either way, gouramis tend to be extremely territorial and can fight relentlessly over territorial disputes. If you don't have enough territory for each to stake some out, the smaller one can be harassed to death.

Edit - Just noticed you're in Phoenix; I'm sure you can find male/female pairs there somewhere. :) I'm in a small town.

Gouramis for a 10G tank might not be the best cause some Gouramis get rather large, if u do decide to get some dont get more then 2

Damien

Not trying to show off. But I know alot about gouramis. Don't ever put even a single one in a 10 gallon. Dwarfs might be a little hard for begginers. Anna pretty much covered alot. Some get big. I suggest you don't get the dwarfs. Because most dwarfs look sparkly. alot of different types. If you get like a 29 gallon i suggest you stock the tank with floating plants for breeding if you want. And when breeding try to make the water level a little lower. Males are very stubborn so like bettastake them out immediately when they are breeding and already fertilized the eggs. Give the fish bloodworms to condition them for breeding. Anymore questions?

Hi jdpro, and welcome to the forum. :D

When stocking your 10 gal community tank you could put in a pair (one male, one female) of dwarf gouramis with no problems since it is well planted. If any of these plants reach the top of the tank so much the better.

Do NOT get kissing gouramis because these are the ones that get quite large. You could probably put in regular size gouramis (including blue, pearl, gold, moonlight, etc.) but their 4" size would limit the amount of other fish you could keep in the same tank.

:D Hi and Welcome also!!! :D

Don't ever put even a single one in a 10 gallon.

Absolutely gourami's really need a bigger tank. If you like, you could get a betta for your 10g then you could add 3 females and a couple of corys. But yes a 10g tank really isn't a good size for gouramis ;) GOOD LUCK!!!!

Kossy said:
:D Hi and Welcome also!!! :D

Don't ever put even a single one in a 10 gallon.

Absolutely gourami's really need a bigger tank. If you like, you could get a betta for your 10g then you could add 3 females and a couple of corys. But yes a 10g tank really isn't a good size for gouramis ;) GOOD LUCK!!!!

Please explain your reasons for making this statement. Is it from considerable experience with these fish?

I only ask because you have contradicted a statement I made with no evidence to support your opinion. And, I do have experience in this area.

I usually look forward to the posts made by the moderators because they make thoughtful replys and give useful advice that I can learn from. They are deserving of my respect and thanks. But your reply to jdpro didn't even answer his question which was about the number of gouramis he could put in his tank. He did not ask your opinion of what you think he should put in instead.

IMHO your answer is wrong.

Kossy@Sep 12 2003, 09:36 PM
you could get a betta for your 10g then you could add 3 females and a couple of corys

I've been advised in other threads not to keep male and female bettas together, due to male aggression. I guess I would say to be aware of potential problems with this arrangement. Also, you already have the ottos, so you're probably not looking to add to your lower level (with cory cats).

I have to agree with Inchworm that gouramis are an option for your tank. If you go with those suggested, two really would be the limit, and I'm sure a male/female pair would be best, but if they spawn, you may have to remove the female, from what I have read. I still feel that dwarf gourami are an option, as well. I've been warned against aggression and territorial behavior in males, but I have seen none of that in my 4 males (not "regular" dwarfs -- sold as "cinnamon" dwarfs) and I have had them for quite a while. It is my understanding that honey gourami, which are the smallest of the gourami, are quite shy. Not sure what "sparkling" gourami are, but I suspect that they are in the "regular" 4" adult category.

Hope this helps.

Alia

Alia said:
I've been warned against aggression and territorial behavior in males, but I have seen none of that in my 4 males (not "regular" dwarfs -- sold as "cinnamon" dwarfs) and I have had them for quite a while.
You have raised an interesting question, Alia. I have suggested a pair (usually one male and one female) just because that is usually how things are done. But I have read or heard somewhere (wish I could remember where) that males without females get along well. I am glad to hear that your experience supports this.

All things considered, gouramis are not aggressive fish. They are merely territorial with each other and do not seem to bother other fish. That is why I always suggest having plants and/or other decorations in a tank with them. This way they see the tank as being divided into areas and can claim one as their own.

I have never had a pair spawn in a community tank, but ones that I have moved to a tank of their own have spawned readily, so I would not think this is a problem that should worry anyone planning a community tank.

My experience with gouramis has been different. I find that they can be, on a moment's notice, quite aggressive with fish, even non-gouramis. They can and will eat anything that fits inside their mouths.

Also, any of the 'blue' gouramis (three spot, opaline, goldens etc) are, in my experience, too big and territorial to be happy in a 10 gallon tank. I'm not fond of keeping such a big fish in such a little tank, but if you're really set on a gourami, I wouldn't try anything bigger than a honey red or a dwarf. Just my opinion.

AquaNut said:
They can and will eat anything that fits inside their mouths.
So will most other fish including guppies. And, I might add, a gourami has a rather small mouth in proportion to its overall size. :D

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome, and for all the replies :)

The sparkling gourami is a particular species; Trichopsis pumilus -- here is a link:
http://www.liveaquaria.com./product/prod_D...=21&pCatId=1562

They only get up to 1.5 inches, and are supposedly easy to care for, and also are suitable for a 10 gallon aquarium. :) Based on the replies I guess that this fish isn't very readily available, since many people don't seem to be familiar with them. But I hear that they are stunning in an aquarium.

So, given these facts, would anyone think that I could put more than just a pair of these in there? I'd kind of like to have about 6, but really don't want to overstock.

Just to fill you in on my other tanks:

1- 3 gal Eclipse housing one male betta and some malaysian trumpet snails

1 - 20 gallon housing 6 golden barbs, one bristlenose pleco, and one amano shrimp plus some mts

and my 10 gallon that I am working on :)

I live in the northeast Phoenix area :)

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Hi jdpro.

I read your most recent post a little while ago and did a little looking about on the internet. Here is another link I found about the Sparkling Gouramis.

http://www.aquaworld.netfirms.com/Labyrint...psis_pumila.htm

It really looks like a fine little fish. Thank you for introducing me to it.

I don't recall ever seeing them here (New York) and I've never heard the name, I'm sure. But I will be on the lookout for them. Are they available to you locally or will by buy them mail order?

I don't think you will have any trouble keeping 6 of them in your 10 gallon tank because of their petit size. Since it is so hard to tell the sexes apart, if you have any hopes of breeding them, you will probably want to have that many so that you are sure to get at least one pair.

Good luck, and please let us know how you do with them. :D

i myself agree with inch and the other person saying that Gourami are perfectly finge for 10 gallon tank

you seem to be debating a silly thing and all saying i disagree your wrong so on

fish are like every other animal they come in diffrent shapes sizes type
now you say they are to big why ? because a kissing Gourami is 12 inches long hmm
or maybe your thinking of the giant Gourami at almost 20 sum inches

now yea completly these cant but there not the only Gouramis are they
so why cant he find the TYPE that suits his needs

instead you told him NO YOU CANT AND DIDNT HELP HIM ATALL
you didnt surgest a type of Gourami he could find

i
so i fish and chips will try and help you JDPRO

ok Gourami that you could keep and be very well suited to your tank
Sparkling Gourami only 1 nad half inch long

Coral Blue Dwarf Gourami size 3.3 inches so around .5bigger Peacful non aggresive
Chocolate Gourami size 2 inches another thats smaller then a betta Timid. Should not be kept with very active or agressive species
Honey Gourami 2.8 the same size can be aggresive to smaller fish
Thick Lip Gourami size 3.5 inch same a little bigger then a betta so not sure Peaceful. non aggresive

now you told him to get a Betta splendens
Common Names: Siamese Fighting Fish
size can be 2.8 inches i seen bigger around 3 inch

Generally peaceful. DO NOT keep more than one male fighter in the same tank as they will spread their fins, flare their gills and kill each other. DO NOT keep male fighters with female fighters unless breeding is intended as the male will kill the female

you could get a betta for your 10g then you could add 3 females
yea let them all die and leave him wondering why because he was adviced to buy these fish ?????

now if he can have a betta 2.8 INCHES that will kill the others and anything else it doesnt like LOL WHY CANT HE HAVE THAT
its half the size not only betta is a fighter fish not for begginers i was told

Several females can be kept together (but his tank to small)
Male Fighters should not be kept with species that have large fins

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back