Stock help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lefky

Reaction score
I have been really struggling to find fish to keep in my 20g long freshwater tank. I have gravel substrate and adding live plants very soon. The only problem with my tank is the water temp and the PH. The temp is always around 79-86F max (rarely that high) and my PH is around 7.5-7.8. I have made multiple lists of fish that I wanted but either they arent compatible or don't like the hard water. Some fish I was really looking into were: Paradise fish, gouramis and GBR's. What is everyones suggestions for top,middle and bottom dwellers that will thrive in my tank? (I am not wanting to get into breeding so I am ok with fish eating the eggs of another one)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

--------------------------
You can't keep paradise fish with gouramis because they are both labyrinth fishes and will fight.

You should go to the pet shop and make a list of fish you like, then post it here. We can go through it and make suggestions as to what will go together in your tank.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

--------------------------
You can't keep paradise fish with gouramis because they are both labyrinth fishes and will fight.

You should go to the pet shop and make a list of fish you like, then post it here. We can go through it and make suggestions as to what will go together in your tank.
I get my driving license in a couple of days; I will get my water tested at petsmart and look at the fish there. I may also go to another fish place near me that I heard has MANY fish. And I am currently on vacation so I will tell you my tap water and aquarium water when i get back Sunday.

You'll have to double check the hardness they like but corydoras are great hardy bottom dwellers and keep to themselves

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

You'll have to double check the hardness they like but corydoras are great hardy bottom dwellers and keep to themselves

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
Yeah I can keep my ph at 7.5 and ill test my gh when I get home and choose from there. Btw, just interested, what other small hardy bottom dwellers can live on small gravel substrate?

Last edited:
From the water data mentioned in an earlier thread of yours, the GH is around 60 ppm (3 dGH) and the pH was in the mid 7 range. The GH is the main thing for fish, so if this is accurate you want to be looking at soft water fish species. If you have the water tested by a fish store, make certain you write down the number and their unit of measurement (likely either ppm or degrees). You need to pin this down.

The other thread mentioned a 20g but not that it was a long, and this makes a difference as you have the additional length.

Temperature was the main issue in the other thread, and that still applies. You were considering blue rams which need warmth, 80F, so that works well (you are in a climate that is warm you said, and the tank stays around 80F). Corys are not going to like this, except for a couple of species; but if you want cories you are better having a sand substrate, like play sand.

From the water data mentioned in an earlier thread of yours, the GH is around 60 ppm (3 dGH) and the pH was in the mid 7 range. The GH is the main thing for fish, so if this is accurate you want to be looking at soft water fish species. If you have the water tested by a fish store, make certain you write down the number and their unit of measurement (likely either ppm or degrees). You need to pin this down.

The other thread mentioned a 20g but not that it was a long, and this makes a difference as you have the additional length.

Temperature was the main issue in the other thread, and that still applies. You were considering blue rams which need warmth, 80F, so that works well (you are in a climate that is warm you said, and the tank stays around 80F). Corys are not going to like this, except for a couple of species; but if you want cories you are better having a sand substrate, like play sand.
Do you think I could add a small sand area in the tank maybe a fifth of the bottom in a corner for them? If I do, how would I clean it with a gravel cleaner I purchased? What bottom feeders will do well in my tank with a gravel bottom (other than shrimp and snails)? I am getting my water tested later today from a petsmart so I will send you the results right when I get them. Would threadfin rainbowfish (about 6) be ok in my tank with a pair of GBR’s? Or should I stick with a smaller species like the red head tetras (forgot the name) or maybe cardinal tetras?

Do you think I could add a small sand area in the tank maybe a fifth of the bottom in a corner for them? If I do, how would I clean it with a gravel cleaner I purchased? What bottom feeders will do well in my tank with a gravel bottom (other than shrimp and snails)? I am getting my water tested later today from a petsmart so I will send you the results right when I get them. Would threadfin rainbowfish (about 6) be ok in my tank with a pair of GBR’s? Or should I stick with a smaller species like the red head tetras (forgot the name) or maybe cardinal tetras?

Given the tank size, GH and temperature, Threadfin Rainbowfish (Iriatherina werneri) would be suitable. However, since I have not personally kept this species, I do not know how they would react with the rams. Colin will likely know this, he has a wide knowledge of Atherinids (the rainbowfish family). I would suggest a few more, maybe 8-9 or 10, as the males will frequently display with conspecifics present and this will be more likely with a larger group.

Mixed substrate types are not advisable. They will tend to mix together unless separated by a solid partition siliconed to the tank floor. But different substrate types also looks "un-natural" and makes the tank seem visually smaller.

What sort of gravel is it? It might serve the purpose.

Given the tank size, GH and temperature, Threadfin Rainbowfish (Iriatherina werneri) would be suitable. However, since I have not personally kept this species, I do not know how they would react with the rams. Colin will likely know this, he has a wide knowledge of Atherinids (the rainbowfish family). I would suggest a few more, maybe 8-9 or 10, as the males will frequently display with conspecifics present and this will be more likely with a larger group.

Mixed substrate types are not advisable. They will tend to mix together unless separated by a solid partition siliconed to the tank floor. But different substrate types also looks "un-natural" and makes the tank seem visually smaller.

What sort of gravel is it? It might serve the purpose.
It is a smaller kind than like pebbles you would put in. Picture is below:

Attachments

• AE608B27-6C58-460C-8504-926483EDDAEE.jpeg
    AE608B27-6C58-460C-8504-926483EDDAEE.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 149
It is a smaller kind than like pebbles you would put in. Picture is below:

That is quite large-grain gravel. Do you have the cories now, and how many?

That is quite large-grain gravel. Do you have the cories now, and how many?
I am getting warm water corys soon (sterbai) but I currently have 4 green corys. I have had them for almost a month now.

I am getting warm water corys soon (sterbai) but I currently have 4 green corys. I have had them for almost a month now.

I always consider the fish first and foremost, so to be honest in my advice here, I would recommend you change out the gravel for sand. You can use play sand which is very inexpensive; I have this as the substrate in all my tanks now. No fish issues, no plant issues, and it looks very natural.

Don't know where you are, but if in the USA (or Canada) both Home Depot and Lowe's carry Quikrete Play Sand for around $5-$6 a 25kg (55 lb) bag. One bag would be more than enough for a 20g long tank, but it is nice to have extra.

Last edited:
I always consider the fish first and foremost, so to be honest in my advice here, I would recommend you change out the gravel for sand. You can use play sand which is very inexpensive; I have this as the substrate in all my tanks now. No fish issues, no plant issues, and it looks very natural.

Don't know where you are, but if in the USA (or Canada) both Home Depot and Lowe's carry Quikrete Play Sand for around $5-$6 a 25kg (55 lb) bag. One bag would be more than enough for a 20g long tank, but it is nice to have extra.
I would think it can be difficult removing all the gravel, especially with having a live plant in it. Gravel is easy for me to clean and I am not sure how to clean sand. I have done a bunch of research on gravel plants and finally made a list of them.

I would think it can be difficult removing all the gravel, especially with having a live plant in it. Gravel is easy for me to clean and I am not sure how to clean sand. I have done a bunch of research on gravel plants and finally made a list of them.

The plant is not going to care much, being uprooted and replanted in sand. Plants will do better in a finer grain gravel or sand. Substrate-rooted plants will grow in most any substrate, though gravel large like this one can pose some issues. Biological activity occurs more effectively in sand (or a finer gravel). So there really are no down-sides.

As for cleaning, I tend not to touch the substrate much anyway, except sometimes in the open areas. Running the water changer just above the sand and stirring up the top level works well.

Most reactions

trending

Back