Stinky Fish Tank

izzyj

New Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Greetings,

Im new to this forum also a tank newbie, I got this tank about two months ago. About three weeks ago I started noticing a really bad smell coming from the tank its like a stale water really bad smell. I've been reading online and there is various suggestions on how to get rid of the smell by performing daily 15%-20% water changes until the smell goes away. I've read that the causes could be rotting fish or food, I've cut back on feeding the fish to make sure I don't overfeed and I did have a fish die a couple days ago but that was after the smell had already begun. Amonia levels are very low and im just trying to get rid of the smell. any suggestions?

Izzy
 
do daily water changes and gravel cleans. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine and has a similar temperature & PH to the tank.
Check the filter to make sure it is running properly. If it needs a clean then wash the filter materials out in a bucket of tank water. When the filter materials are clean put them back in the tank and tip out the bucket of dirty water onto the garden.
Increase aeration or surface turbulence to help get rid of the smell.

Have you been doing regular water changes on the tank? If not you should be doing partial water changes every couple of weeks.
 
A rotten egg smell or sulphur smell can be signs of bad bacteria in your tank.
 
Thanks for the advice, the daily water changes seem to have helped a lot. Smell seems to be dissipating and the water is looking a lot cleaner.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top