Status of tank I changed to sand substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Linda N

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Probably a month ago based on recommendations from folks on this board, I removed an undergravel filter and replaced gravel with black sand in a 10 gallon tank that I have Endlers and Pygmy cories in. I previously had some red cherry shrimp but they did not survive. The tank has been set up with the sand for about a month now and the snails are really doing a good job of keeping the sand clean. They are ordinary pond snails that hitchhiked in at some point on plants. I have barely had to vacuum the sand at all. Today I added a few Malaysian trumpet snails to both the 10 gallon and 20 gallon tank to help keep the substrate clean and am trying again with some red cherry shrimp. I have added a sponge filter in the event the shrimp (or anybody else for that matter - LOL) reproduces. The Endlers are all males so no baby Endlers in my future. So far, so good with the sand. I really like the contrast of the black sand with everything else. The pygmy cories are much more active than they were previously in the gravel substrate. I have a lot more plants in there too.

Thank you for that update. I took the plunge (pun intended) and went with black sand in a 5 gallon I set up for Killifish. It does look nice as you say. Your catfish are liking it huh ? Isn't it nice when the fish respond well to the things you do for them ? :) Do you have plants rooted right into the sand ? How is that going ? I got my black sand at PetsMart. Top Fin brand. The bag said made in China. Why does something like that have to come from China for crying out loud ? I sure hope it doesn't turn out to be colored with something toxic like Happy Meal toys are. I'm glad your tank is working well. Skol !

Excellent, thanks for updating us.

Thank you for that update. I took the plunge (pun intended) and went with black sand in a 5 gallon I set up for Killifish. It does look nice as you say. Your catfish are liking it huh ? Isn't it nice when the fish respond well to the things you do for them ? :) Do you have plants rooted right into the sand ? How is that going ? I got my black sand at PetsMart. Top Fin brand. The bag said made in China. Why does something like that have to come from China for crying out loud ? I sure hope it doesn't turn out to be colored with something toxic like Happy Meal toys are. I'm glad your tank is working well. Skol !
. I have the same black sand in my tropical community tank. It’s held up nicely if you like sand.

Today I was sitting watching TV and out of the corner of my eye could see a lot of activity in the 10 gallon tank that I put the sand in. It was the pygmy cories chasing each other like crazy!!! Before I changed to sand, I never saw them because they were hiding all the time and until I removed all of the décor to change the substrate did not even know if they were all still alive. Now they are out and about chasing each other and swimming all over the tank like crazy. I'm so glad I was finally able to get this done. I have the sponge filter installed and added 3 red cherry shrimp this week - we'll see how they do. They were very small so probably have some growing to do.

Ah, that's good to hear, I love Cory's.... They are so fun to watch, now that you see them more active, watch out for them making a T... When one is straight up and the other is above making a T shape, they may start breeding especially now they are happy

I actually saw some eggs on the glass today. I know they are not the pond snail eggs because they look different. The options are the cories, nerite snail or rasbora but I don't think they lay eggs on glass. The Endler's are all boys so that lets them out. I hope they are cory eggs.

next month we will have a Catfish contest...FOTM...enter your cories in the contest...from dwarf Cories to large Plecos..all are eligible.

I actually saw some eggs on the glass today. I know they are not the pond snail eggs because they look different. The options are the cories, nerite snail or rasbora but I don't think they lay eggs on glass. The Endler's are all boys so that lets them out. I hope they are cory eggs.
They are Corydoras eggs. Since you know they are different from snail eggs and see the difference you are right in your guess. That's awesome! :) :) :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back