Starting To Breed Plattys (advice Wanted)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hives

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi there, ive decided tomorow im going to take my whole community of fish back to the local pet shop and start breeding plattys in my 22g, bassicly im wanting to know whats the best combination of plattys to start with to breed, i.e how many of what sex do i want, you can see my setup below so you can get an idea of where theyll be living, thanks alot

new1.jpg

It looks good! I'd start out with just 1 male and 2-3 females. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but they'll each have fry about once a month, and you'll probably want to keep some. Starting with only a few gives you space for that.

I'd add some more plants, maybe some floating ones if you plan on letting the female give birth in the tank. Otherwise, you could use a fry tank if you have a small, extra tank. :)

I suggest you take a look at the pinned topics in the Livebearer section as they are very helpful.

Good luck! :thumbs:

If you just buy a female platy of a colour you like & a bunch of hornwort you should be breeding platies within a few weeks. The females can drop several batches of fry from one mating & if given plenty of cover some will survive in a community.
It seems a shame to get rid of an existing set of fish when you haven't even researched the different platies out there.
What are you planning to do with the fry?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back