Starting My First Fishtank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The only thing i would add is that an air pump is by no means essential. So long as your filter outlet 'ripples' the surface of the water, this is enough to oxygenate [sp] the water.
Don't get me wrong, air stones on air pumps look good, and often provide something fun for the little fish to play with, they will not add anything scientifically relevant to your tank. They can also be quite noisy.

If you go without the air pump, and the fish look like they are gasping for air, then angle the filter outlet up so it disturbs more water on the surface.

All good options, I think! Just remmber with these that if you change your mind about the fish in the future and decide to go for something bigger like cichlids or larger catfish, you'll probably need a second filter or to replace this one with a bigger one. Those would be fine for guppies and other small fish, though.

Great thanks! Nah I like small fish ;)So if I buy that pack and the Fluval then I'm set for a year or so? Just every month I take out the sponge and wash it in the aquarium next to the fish?

Timmy - yeah I'll get the same air pump then just for 2 x 6" airstones ;)

THANKS BOTH!

Just every month I take out the sponge and wash it in the aquarium next to the fish?

Close... Wash the filters in a bucket of tank water you were just about to throw away after a water change. Otherwise the gunk will just get back into the filter.

IE:
gravel clean ~30% water into a bucket.
Clean filter media in bucket
toss bucket
add new water

Close... Wash the filters in a bucket of tank water you were just about to throw away after a water change. Otherwise the gunk will just get back into the filter.

IE:
toss bucket
add new water

Cheers Timmy! Thanks for the explanation! You deserved a naming of a male fish :p hihi :D

Btw - just got the water tests. Tonight will post my PH for water ;)

IE:
toss bucket
add new water

Cheers Timmy! Thanks for the explanation! You deserved a naming of a male fish :p hihi :D

Btw - just got the water tests. Tonight will post my PH for water ;)

Sweet, look forward to seeing it!

It removes the chlorine and chloramine that water companies put in the water to stop bacteria growing in it; you need to get rid of it as we want bacteria to grow in our filters. Chlorine also damages fishes gills and leaves them unable to breathe properly.

It removes the chlorine and chloramine that water companies put in the water to stop bacteria growing in it; you need to get rid of it as we want bacteria to grow in our filters. Chlorine also damages fishes gills and leaves them unable to breathe properly.

ow cool. and any suggestions of how much i put? and is it in the beginning or i need to put some with every water change?

ps - re fluval? should I put all the cartridges into it?

You need to treat all the water that goes into your tank with it; in the beginning and for water changes. I can't tell you how much because it depends on the brand, but it will tell you on the bottle.

Yes; put all the cartridges in; you want your filter as full of stuff as you can (as long as it's not compltetely blocked up!)

You need to treat all the water that goes into your tank with it; in the beginning and for water changes. I can't tell you how much because it depends on the brand, but it will tell you on the bottle.

Yes; put all the cartridges in; you want your filter as full of stuff as you can (as long as it's not compltetely blocked up!)

great! thanks :) Will do so then :)

all the items are ordered. now its a metter of delivery!

Your Fluval should come with some media already in it - two sponges, two black pads and a plastic case full of ceramic chips. Open the filter up, take the cermaic chips out of their bag and empty them into the plastic case and rinse all the media in tap water to clean any dust off. Then get it into the tank. This is the *only* time you'll rinse the media in tap water. The carbon will need to be changed weekly *if* you use it. Personally, I keep carbon out of my filter until I need them so I recommend you do the same. They are very expensive to keep replacing. Alternatively, you can not replace them. They will stop working but will still aid the filtration.

Save the spare cartridges for if you need them.

Your Fluval should come with some media already in it - two sponges, two black pads and a plastic case full of ceramic chips. Open the filter up, take the cermaic chips out of their bag and empty them into the plastic case and rinse all the media in tap water to clean any dust off. Then get it into the tank. This is the *only* time you'll rinse the media in tap water. The carbon will need to be changed weekly *if* you use it. Personally, I keep carbon out of my filter until I need them so I recommend you do the same. They are very expensive to keep replacing. Alternatively, you can not replace them. They will stop working but will still aid the filtration.

Save the spare cartridges for if you need them.

Thanks Assaye for the explanation! :) Great!

Some updates of arrivals: Ammonia - Aquarium Net Breeder - Aquarium Sealer

Small question - how much do I need to put ammonia in the water? The ammonia has 9.5% ammonia solution in it.

Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back