starting a web site

wrs

Michelle's Hot
Reaction score
well i used to make web sites before and decided I wanted to get back into it. it will only be a geocities web site though because I dont want all the hassel that ive had with others.

obviously its going to be about fish.

some topics will be:
getting started
goldfish
live bearers
bettas
tank suggestions
what to do with that small tank you have.

and the last one. what to do with that small tank you have, seems to come up sometimes. I know I ask that question alot, so I was wondering, if some people here wouldnt mind offering suggestions about what to keep in smaller tanks that I could put on the site. credit given and a link back to here. like 1-6 gallons.
and maybe some of you with cichlids can also give suggestions for cichlid tanks, and stuff as such.

Hi,

Just reading up on Betta's, I've got a cheap 2.5 (UK) Gallon tank and looking to make a home made divider (thanks to rykitten for the instructions) to keep 2 in there.

Other option for 2.5 Gallon is as a quaranteen/hospital tank, obviously only for the little fishes.

Arfie

Smaller tanks, between the sizes of 2.5 and 10 gallons makes for great "nano" environments for small fish, frogs, snails, shrimp or other inverts.

I have a 5 gallon hex I'm planning to turn into a habitat for my African Dwarf Frogs and perhaps a Betta. They can also be used for raising fry (depending on the fish) or breeding fish.

I think if you're going to make a website you should make it very specialized. Pick one fish or type of fish or whatever and get really indepth with it.

There are thousands of sites out there with general fish info out there, and I hardly visit any of them. All my bookmarks are the sites that give me info I can't find anywhere else.

Not to sound discouraging... I just don't see any reason to reinvent the wheel. That's my 2 cents.

If you're not actually thinking of a general fish site, then disregard this. :)

1-6 gallon tank usses...

1 gallon- betta home, fry house,
2 gallon- betta home, section off for 2 bettas, fry house
3 gallon- betta home, section off for 3 bettas, fry house, 2 fancy guppies, plants
4 gallon- betta home, section off for 4 bettas, fry house, 3 fancy guppies (1 male 2 female), plants
5 gallon- betta home, section off for 5 bettas, fry house, 3 fancy guppies (1 male 2 female), plants, 1 pygme puffer
6 gallon- betta home, section off for 6 bettas, fry house, 3 fancy guppies (1 male 2 female), plants, 2 pygme puffers, 4 smaller kinds of tetras

tadaa.

those are great suggestions Arfie, Teelie, and MrMashashin. thanks

endparenthesis- the site is going to basically be about smaller tanks, and what to kep in it. and the reason that you cant keep certain fish, like gldfish or cichlids, in small tanks, even though they look small at the store. and stuff like that.

Many people keep a pair of killifish in a 5g. (me too if I can find a nice pair)

Also, you might want to mention something about location of the tank.

The temp in small tanks is hard to keep constant.

In other words, don't put your George Foreman grill next to your 10g on a hot day like I did. :X

wrs said:
the site is going to basically be about smaller tanks, and what to kep in it.
If you're going to build a web-site, wouldn't it be better to base it on your personal experience rather than the opinions of others? The old "write about what you know" rule holds true I think. Otherwise you'll end up with many different points of view that will at some point conflict. Just my opinion.

thats true, but most of yall have more experiance with me. and what if my experiance is wrong? lol. like I had platties in a 5 and some mollies as well, and thats definetly wrong, lol. so I dont want to give the people the wrong info. but some stuff about bettas and guppies etc. will be from my experiances with them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back