Starting A New Tank... What Should I Get.

SamsFishaquatic

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So excited to be a getting a new 37 gallon or a 40. I have been looking around and have not made up my mind yet. I really want a hardy fish or anything that could make the tank look cool. Probably going to get some kind of chiclid. Also any ideas on plants or decor? Thanks and I will make sure to post pictures once it is up and running.

Depends if You are wanting to go community or Species? If you go with community that will restrict you to only certain species of dwarf cichlid such as Rams and keyhole cichlids, Any other cichlids can only be kept in a cichlid species only tank.

Hope this helps!

Yea if I do chiclids definitely going to get some sweet rams. Thanks.

A pair of peacock gudgeons? Whats your current stocking?

I have both 2 Bolivian rams and 2 German Blue Ram in separate tanks.  Great fish to have.  GBR are a bit fussy on parameters though so do your research. 

Its not true that only dwarfs can be kept in community settings. Certain members of the geophagus family don't see smaller fish as food as they only take food from the sand. You can have a 8 inch one with small tetras no problem. They are also quite gentle and will not attack unless provoked. Other fish such as the blue acara and severum will leave any fish that it cant fit in its mouth alone as well.

Go for the 40 gallon since bigger is always better as long as you have the space. If you want a nice cichlid try looking at red head geophagus tapojos, blue acaras, rotkeil severum, firemouths you could probably keep one as your centrepeice.  Along with that you can keep a pair of rams as well. If you want to go smaller you can try angelfish or festivum or laetacaras in a group of 4-5. This will still leave you enough room for a school of dither fish, and some bottom dwellers

Just one more idea, if you want a really fun and interesting tank try going species only and getting either 6 convicts or 8 kribensis. Scape with good rockwork, driftwood and plants so they can really establish teritorries. These cichlids breed readily and you'll have hours of enjoyment watching them breed, defend the young and socialize with each other. Species only though because these fish can get really nasty during breeding time and can kill other types of fish not equipped to spar with them.

AeonMapa said:
Its not true that only dwarfs can be kept in community settings. Certain members of the geophagus family don't see smaller fish as food as they only take food from the sand. You can have a 8 inch one with small tetras no problem. They are also quite gentle and will not attack unless provoked. Other fish such as the blue acara and severum will leave any fish that it cant fit in its mouth alone as well.
I second that my geophagus is very docile, doesn't even attack ghost shrimp or guppies, I'm going to be getting a large school of about 6-8 soon, pretty excited about them, although it will be a few months.
Geophagus jurupari*

Thanks for all the answers. I am very overwhelmed as I have recently started with fish... So thanks for all the responses and I will definitely look into these fish and what not.
fish.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back