Starting A Marine Aquarium

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I currently have a 10gal aquarium which houses some platy fry. I want to convert this tank into a small Marine. What do I need to know please. Do I need to do anything to my filter? ty.

If you only want to keep marine fish then you don't really need to change much besides the water, gravel and plants. Use beach sand, shell or crushed coral on the bottom of the tank. Add some limestone and plastic plants for decoration, and fill the tank up with salt water, either natural seawater from the beach, or artificial marine salt and tap water.
Use a normal aquarium heater and power filter with sponges and noodles in. Have a normal tank light on the tank so you can see the fish.
Once the tank is set up add some ammonia to start the filtration cycle. When the tank has finished cycling (about a month) then you can add some fish.

If you want to keep corals then you will need good light, a power head to increase the water movement, and then you can either use a power filter, or live rock to filter the water.

The other thing you will need is a hydrometer to measure the salt level. A plastic chamber hydrometer is a reasonable type and will last longer than the floating glass variety. They are both a lot cheaper than a refractometer, which can also be used to measure the salt level.

okay i read the stickies. So will need salt-water and water conditioner. I still have some questions tho.

1. can i transfer the FW matured filter spondge to the marine filter without an issue?
2. can i add 2-3 clownfish to my marine tank?
3. is 10gal enough really?
4. will a 60 aeration system be enough water movement as you said above it needs water movements?

:)

1. can i transfer the FW matured filter spondge to the marine filter without an issue? Nope i wouldnt. Cycle the filter with fresh media for marine

2. can i add 2-3 clownfish to my marine tank? Nope, clowns in 3's will fight. 10 gallon isnt big enough for one imo

3. is 10gal enough really? Not imo. More work than a big tank. Fish options are limited

4. will a 60 aeration system be enough water movement as you said above it needs water movements? dont know this one

okay so a fresh spondge. how about if i keep the 30gal i have, will it be okay to house 3 of them? i know you said it is not good idea, what if they are the same sex like all females?

clown fish when born have no specific gender, when a pair are introduced into an aquarium from young the more dominant one will become the female and the timid one the male. in my opinion a pair of mated clowns need 20g+

clown fish are damsel fish which are notoriously aggressive

aahhh they are damsel's agressive :(
what other marine fish do you suggest for a starter?

Clownfish are best kept in prs (1male & 1female). If you want a group of them then get a big tank 6x2x2ft or larger, and add 10 small clownfish at the same time. A pr will take over the tank and the other 8 will be subordinates that are neither male nor female. Female clownfish are bigger and more aggressive than males. However, if you remove the female then the male will become a female and the dominant subordinate will become a male.
It's best just to keep a pr in each tank.

A 30gallon tank would be better for marine as it gives you more options for fish.

You can keep the old filter materials and wash them out. Then use them in the marine tank. However, the filter bacteria will not survive if you take it from fresh water and put it in seawater. The filter needs to develop a new colony of saltwater bacteria.

ohh i see, well, what if i just get one clownfish and some other kinds that are small, will they be okay?

i am now thinking of keeping the 30gal going and convert it to Marine. 10gal is too tiny indeed. i'd like to mix it up add a clown fish and a few other small ones, nothing bigger than 2-3inches. any suggestions? is there ones that will be okay with a single clown?

Although clownfish are in the damselfish family, they are quite peaceful compared to some damsels. Also some clownfish are more peaceful than others. The common clownfish (like Nemo), Amphiprion ocellaris, is quite peaceful and only grows to about 3inches. This would be fine in a small tank. Other clownfish like the Spine cheek clown, Premna biaculeatus, or the tomatoe clown, Amphiprion melanopus or A. frenatus, are highly territorial and will often kick hell out of other fish in the tank. They also grow to about 5inches and need a 3ft tank or bigger.
Even in the damselfish family there are peaceful damsels like the chromis and small yellowtail damsel, and agro ones like humbugs, Sargent majors, and blue damsels.

Tank mates for clownfish can include blennies, gobies, small angelfish, tangs, small wrasses and anything that isn't gong to bully them. In a small tank (10g) look at small gobies and blennies, pygmy/ fairy wrasses, and a few shrimp or small hermit crabs.

okay, i have alot to think about if i go marine i will use my 30gal tank, i have to think what i want in there.

I was told by my LFS that I can pair 2 anemone's (clown's) together in my 30gal, and i will then need the following.

a cycled filter media
salt
declorinator
hydor koralin 3 850gph power head
proteine skimmer cyclone 100

Most reactions

Back