How do you work out dose rates?

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
My blood pressure is up trying to figure this crap out and I'm about to pop a blood vessel and snap. So if anyone knows how to convert dose rates, please help.

I want to deworm some fish using Levamisole. The product I can buy contains:
80 g/L Levamisole Hydrochloride
equivalent to 68 g/L Levamisole

I need 2 mg/L of the active ingredient Levamisole in the tank water.

How do I work this out so I can use X ml of Levamisole per X litres of aquarium water?
eg: 1ml of the product per however many litres of tank water.

You simply mix the 5g packet of Levamisole HCl powder with 10 fluid ounces of water (1 1/4 cups) until it is well dissolved. One fluid ounce or two tablespoons of the mixed solution should be used for every 10 gallons of tank water.

20 Grams will treat 400 gallons in an effective solution of 13 parts per million (0.013g/ml)

Calculate the conversion factor: 80 g/L Levamisole Hydrochloride is equivalent to 68 g/L Levamisole. This means every 1.176 grams (80 / 68) of Levamisole Hydrochloride is equivalent to 1 gram of Levamisole. Use this ratio as a conversion factor. You want 2 mg/L of Levamisole in the tank water. Divide the target Levamisole concentration (2 mg/L) by the conversion factor (1.176)

Amount of Levamisole Hydrochloride (mg/L) = 2 mg/L Levamisole / 1.176

Calculate the conversion factor: 80 g/L Levamisole Hydrochloride is equivalent to 68 g/L Levamisole. This means every 1.176 grams (80 / 68) of Levamisole Hydrochloride is equivalent to 1 gram of Levamisole. Use this ratio as a conversion factor. You want 2 mg/L of Levamisole in the tank water. Divide the target Levamisole concentration (2 mg/L) by the conversion factor (1.176)

Amount of Levamisole Hydrochloride (mg/L) = 2 mg/L Levamisole / 1.176
I don't understand any of that :(

I'm using a liquid too, not a powder.

I don't understand any of that :(

I'm using a liquid too, not a powder.
I thought you’d stopped keeping fish!

Your concentration of Levamisole is 68g (or 68 000 mg) per litre of the stuff in the bottle, and you want 2mg per one litre of aquarium water.

That means that you only need 0.000029 litre (2 / 68000) of the stuff in the bottle per 1 litre of aquarium water, which is the same as 0.029mL of that stuff per 1 litre of aquarium water.

Or 1mL of that stuff per 34 Litres (0.029 x 34 = 1) of aquarium water.

I thought you’d stopped keeping fish!
I haven't kept fish since 2016 but rent went up a lot last year (1 bedroom NRAS listed unit in a slummy area, rent was $200 a week and is now $300 a week), and the greedy scumbag owners are thinking about increasing it again this year. The real estate agent is trying to talk the owners out of increasing the rent because none of the tenants can afford another rent increase, but she can't guarantee they won't increase it. So I need more money because the pension doesn't cover rent and food, let alone medical care, bills and insurance. I either take up crime or go back to breeding fish, and I don't have the health to be a criminal.

---------------------

Your concentration of Levamisole is 68g (or 68 000 mg) per litre of the stuff in the bottle, and you want 2mg per one litre of aquarium water.
This bit I understand because there is 1000mg in a gram, same as 1000ml in a litre.

---------------------

That means that you only need 0.000029 litre (2 / 68000) of the stuff in the bottle per 1 litre of aquarium water, which is the same as 0.029mL of that stuff per 1 litre of aquarium water.

This bit I don't understand. How do you get those numbers? When I used the calculator to do 2 divided by 68000 I got 2.941176470588235e-5
I don't even know how there is an e in the numbers.

I haven't kept fish since 2016 but rent went up a lot last year (1 bedroom NRAS listed unit in a slummy area, rent was $200 a week and is now $300 a week), and the greedy scumbag owners are thinking about increasing it again this year. The real estate agent is trying to talk the owners out of increasing the rent because none of the tenants can afford another rent increase, but she can't guarantee they won't increase it. So I need more money because the pension doesn't cover rent and food, let alone medical care, bills and insurance. I either take up crime or go back to breeding fish, and I don't have the health to be a criminal.

---------------------

This bit I understand because there is 1000mg in a gram, same as 1000ml in a litre.

---------------------

This bit I don't understand. How do you get those numbers? When I used the calculator to do 2 divided by 68000 I got 2.941176470588235e-5
I don't even know how there is an e in the numbers.
2.94e-5 means that there’re five zeros before the number 2.94, i.e. 2.9e-5 is the same as 0.000029

It’s a way to shorten the number and is known as scientific notation. If the number is 0.000000000029117, it’s easier to express it as 2.9117e-11 so that we don’t need to count the zeros.

You can set your calculator to express decimal points rather than scientific notation if you have a user manual for it. But it will revert to scientific if there’s not enough room for the zeros.

I hate calculators for example when you want tonow say, how many gallons in 125 litres you get a answer with about 6 numbers, instead of the nearest gallon.

I just round the litres/gallons conversions to one decimal place - that's close enough. That's how the calculator on here works, just to one decimal place, and not just for volume but everything on there. (I always have our calculator open in another tab so I can convert volume, tank length, hardness etc quickly :) )

Still struggling to get my head around this and understand how you get the numbers you got. I understand the 2mg divided by 68,000mg in the original bottle. But how do you work out the 34 litres?

Here's the other medication I can get, same stuff lower dosage.
32 g/L Levamisole Hydrochloride
equivalent to 27 g/L Levamisole

2mg per litre of tank water / 27000mg from the bottle.
0.074ml per litre of tank water?
how many litres does 1ml treat, (13.5)?

-------------------

I have no idea how I got 1ml for 7 litres of tank water the last time I used this stuff. I used the higher dosage one and must have been heavily overdosing :confused:

Still struggling to get my head around this and understand how you get the numbers you got. I understand the 2mg divided by 68,000mg in the original bottle. But how do you work out the 34 litres?

Here's the other medication I can get, same stuff lower dosage.
32 g/L Levamisole Hydrochloride
equivalent to 27 g/L Levamisole

2mg per litre of tank water / 27000mg from the bottle.
0.074ml per litre of tank water?
how many litres does 1ml treat, (13.5)?

-------------------

I have no idea how I got 1ml for 7 litres of tank water the last time I used this stuff. I used the higher dosage one and must have been heavily overdosing :confused:

Going back to post # 6, we need 0.029mL per 1L of tank water.
1mL is 34 times the volume of 0.029mL (1mL / 0.029mL = 34.48). So, if 0.029mL treats 1L of tank water, then 1mL treats 34L.

Using the same calcl, if another product has the concentration of 27g of Levamisole per litre (in the bottle) and we need 2mg/L in the tank, then 2 divided by 27000 = 0.000074L. That is 0.000074L or 0.074mL per 1 L of tank water.
Again, 1mL is 13.5 times the volume of 0.074mL (1mL / 0.074mL = 13.5). So, 0.074mL treats 1L of tank water or 1mL per 13.5L of tank water.

If you get Levamisole for chicken from Petbarn, the concentration is lower, only 16.5g per L (from memory). Using the same calc as above, the dosage should be 1mL per 8.25L of tank water, close enough to what you used to apply, 1mL per 7L.

Hope that helps.

Hey @Colin_T. Sorry for the late reply, had a long break from posting. Are you OK?
My blood pressure is up trying to figure this crap out and I'm about to pop a blood vessel and snap.
Oh dear. What happened?
Hmm... It is a very difficult situation for you, and I get it. 8 years since you haven't kept fish, ouch. But I hope you recover from the housing crisis. The housing prices can indeed be expensive but I'm lucky to live with my parents and a decent house. Some advice I would give you is try your best in looking after yourself during hard times. I can understand why people struggle in a housing crisis like this.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back