Product to kill snails in a tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kogi

Reaction score
Before anyone freaks out, no I'm not thinking about any copper based, or salts to kill off snails.
I'm already aware of benefits of snails and MANY methods of getting rid of them or taming them by feeding less or vacuuming more often for less foods for an outbreak.
I'm not looking for any other alternatives besides a DISCUSSION about a product I came across and have not found much information about. A product called No Planaria
Containing Betal Nut Palm Extract, this does not contain any form of antibiotics.

I have read this can kill snails off an aquarium that some people may not want. Regardless if you think snails will always have a place in an aquarium some people just do not want any (not what this discussion is about)
Not able to find a lot of information about this product, and reading hundreds (literally) of reviews of this product many people have used it to also kill off snails, while being SAFE for even shrimp. (Does not affect the eggs)

Does anyone else have any other personal experience using this product as so?
Does this product eventually "deactivate" after some time as some products? Does it need a water change in between dosing and only dose to the amount of water inserted back into aquarium? (such as salt)

If this is safe for even shrimp, how would long term dosing be applied or affect fish? (considering it's only "Biodegradable Betal Nut Palm Extract")
I don't see this product really mentioned in any snail removal discussions or videos unless you are actively looking for this specific product.
I am genuinely very curious about this product and its affects on fish alone (reminder, safe even for shrimp!) and how I have not seen any discussion about it and what it can do, if this is a safer alternative way to FULLY eradicate snail (I'm assuming some sort of 2-3 week regime to also kill eggs that will hatch at a later time.)

Before anyone wants to tear me apart for thinking I want to add products to a tank rather than maintain it, I am no way suggesting I am willing to risk my fish about a product I don't have much info on, hence why I would like a discussion about it. This would also inform people of POSSIBLY a better method than people having to use copper based products which can also kill fish if not very careful in dosing, if they were to choose that route other than less feedings (they may have fry so extra feedings may be needed, or fish eggs being consumed by snails)

Edit: Some information about Betel Nut I have gathered.
A stimulant that speeds up the CNS (Central nervous system) in humans
but also used in veterinary medicine as a dewormer in cattle, dogs, and horses
HIGH doses will most likely kill fish as it can with humans, but in recommended doses will be able to eradicate snail, detritus, hydra but safe even for shrimp.
long term dosage on fish unknown but presumably safe according to hundreds of reviews on this product. Unknown if it causes extra stress or relief, as this stimulant brings "relief" of some form in humans as it aids in glaucoma, bowel movement in human(insufficient evidence) , may COMPLETELY be different for fish though.
source comes from RXList.

From NiH (National Library of Medicine)
this also temporarily accelerates heart rate and cardiovascular activities (in HUMANS) and promotes blood circulation for a short period.
unknown on fish, as dosing in water column may last longer but is "biodegradable" and unkown to how long it may last. (Some users have reported snails have died even after a month on water changes, and have waited up to two, until their nerite snails have been able to "live" in the water, after treatment)

Last edited:
What sort of snails are you trying to get rid of?

Flubendazole is a deworming product and kills shrimp or snails. not sure which one.

Can't help with Beetlenut, the only thing I know about that is the people in PNG eat it for a buzz and it makes their mouth red.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I won't use additives in my aquariums.

Currently having a pest snail issue and will be adding a few Assassin snails later this week who will do the business for me. They maybe a little slow on the job but they get it done and without having to worry about the ingredients on a bottle and what those ingredients might do to my hooligans.

What sort of snails are you trying to get rid of?

Flubendazole is a deworming product and kills shrimp or snails. not sure which one.

Can't help with Beetlenut, the only thing I know about that is the people in PNG eat it for a buss and it makes their mouth red.
I have an African Tanganyikan tank, that has some Cyprichromis Utinta Fluorescent F1 and 5 Multis, some bladder snails came in with some tiger vals that I got, not a fan of them or the looks. Was considering assassin snails but would generally would like no snails in the tank, considering assassin snails also snack on fish eggs.
and yeah, I do remember seeing old documentaries about the betal chewing addiction, but have not read anything about red staining in any tanks, most likely considering it's the extract of it, but I honestly think this could be a great alternative if it is deemed safe.
How do fish react to Flubendazole, have not personally used it before, betel nut is also used in veterinary medicine as a dewormer.

I also wonder how unwanted parasites react to it considering it kills many type of worms in some tanks as well..

Last edited:
Another idea to consider maybe.....

Appreciate the input, but I am aware of this methods and tons more, unfortunately these aren't methods that will eradicate the entire tank, only tame it. I'm currently interested in the betel extract as there's not much discussion about it and would like input about that specific item. Hoping this thread can spark up input on users who has personally used it to help gain more information on this product whether it's safe or not, as more will definitely help the community whether it's to warn them or support the use of it! :D Unfortunately most products also don't gain much information unless tested otherwise with live fish.

The "great" thing about naturally sourced products like betel nut extract they have you to experiment with. They aren't regulated and subject to rigorous studies, and we end up depending on anecdotes if we use them. I suspect this is a YOU try it and tell us. Or not.
You have to balance your wish to get rid of snails (I hate them in a tank) with your assessment of risk.
I have used flubendazole for nematode infections, and the fish were fine. There may be a dosage issue, but the snails were fine too. That would call for research.
People using betel nut products for other purposes have reported no adverse effects on fish, but again, I think some snails got through.
People crushing the little bas****s with their fingers, slowly and methodically over too much time have reported excellent results.

Found this...dated in 2011

It is a blog attached to a supplies company, they state that it is safe with fish and shrimp and they seem to have no issues recommending it after they used it on one of their own aquariums

The "great" thing about naturally sourced products like betel nut extract they have you to experiment with. They aren't regulated and subject to rigorous studies, and we end up depending on anecdotes if we use them. I suspect this is a YOU try it and tell us. Or not.
You have to balance your wish to get rid of snails (I hate them in a tank) with your assessment of risk.
I have used flubendazole for nematode infections, and the fish were fine. There may be a dosage issue, but the snails were fine too. That would call for research.
People using betel nut products for other purposes have reported no adverse effects on fish, but again, I think some snails got through.
People crushing the little bas****s with their fingers, slowly and methodically over too much time have reported excellent results.
Definitely on the money here, there isn't much discussion about this stuff, and would definitely would like to expand and see if users on here had any experience regarding this stuff, as you said it is pretty much us as consumers being "testers" but reviews alone it seems to be doing great, but also makes me weary as products like Melafix and Pimafix have great reviews but I personally do not believe in those products.

I would use assassin snails and just remove them after all the other snails are gone.

Your Cyprichromis and most cichlids from Lake Tanganyika carry their eggs in their mouth so the snails won't get them.

Definitely on the money here, there isn't much discussion about this stuff, and would definitely would like to expand and see if users on here had any experience regarding this stuff, as you said it is pretty much us as consumers being "testers" but reviews alone it seems to be doing great, but also makes me weary as products like Melafix and Pimafix have great reviews but I personally do not believe in those products.
The problem is I can find great online reviews for homeopathy, faith healing, crystals, naturopathy and other long debunked money makers. With melafix, I traced back research on the main active ingredient, and it is a proven antibacterial. Only for it to work, the concentrations needed would also kill fish and everything else in the tank. It's more a nice smelling med to calm fishkeepers who have no real weapons but want to feel they are trying.

I won't buy secret ingredient remedies, and I like to see serious laboratory studies. There are people who will put herbal remedies in their tanks to fight Ich, when all the bottle says is "herbal", and not which chemicals occur in these mysterious herbs. The buyers think it's outrageous to use tested meds because they're chemicals. Is getting reviews from sources like that worthwhile?

A good friend used the betel stuff to kill a hydra infestation, and his fish were laying eggs through the treatment. That suggests it isn't poison for the fish, and it did knock off the hydra. I was there 2 weeks ago though, and he still had pond snails.

I think as @Colin_T mentioned, Flubendazole can kill shrimps.
I suspect that anything that can kill shrimps can also kill snails.
So, this could be one alternative solution.
Flubendazole can also help you to deworm your fish and kill the flukes in the tank.

By right, the "No planaria" medication is supposed to be safe with shrimps and snails.
But I'm suspecting that at that higher level than the suggested dosage for planaria, it may kill some sensitive shrimps and snails based on my past experience.
Anyway, I used it once or twice only as I was afraid that it would kill my shrimps and I cannot guarantee that it will kill the snails.

Third alternative which you are not keen of.
I guess higher level of salt probably can also kill the snails.
You can probably try 1-2 tablespoons for 20 liters.
I remember in the past, whenever we want to kill the snails in our garden, we would use salt.
This is the safest solution that you can use.

Last edited:
I have an African Tanganyikan tank, that has some Cyprichromis Utinta Fluorescent F1 and 5 Multis, some bladder snails came in with some tiger vals that I got, not a fan of them or the looks. Was considering assassin snails but would generally would like no snails in the tank, considering assassin snails also snack on fish eggs.
and yeah, I do remember seeing old documentaries about the betal chewing addiction, but have not read anything about red staining in any tanks, most likely considering it's the extract of it, but I honestly think this could be a great alternative if it is deemed safe.
How do fish react to Flubendazole, have not personally used it before, betel nut is also used in veterinary medicine as a dewormer.

I also wonder how unwanted parasites react to it considering it kills many type of worms in some tanks as well..
I had some ramshorn snails in a tank, but when I added Julidochromis Marlieri, my snail problem disaappeared. If you have Tanganyikans, you could probably add julies. as long as the snails aren't Malaysian snails with "concrete shells," the julies will tame the problem.

Most reactions

Back