Spraybar Or No Spraybar?

oswoldy

Fishaholic
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
575
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Hi,
I have recently got an External Eheim filter that is currently running alongside my Fluval 3+ internal. I bought the Eheim second hand and it had no Spraybar with it so im currently running it without one so its just coming out the end of the 12mm pipe into the tank. Would a spray bar create more movement, I wouldnt want it above the water as it would be too noisy, so would it create enough surface agitation or would it not make much of a difference. My theory is that it would provide a stronger current as the water would be forced out the smaller holes, however this could be a load of old...

Mike
 
I would put spraybar on imo

it would cut down the flow i believe, it will also distribute it across the whole tanks, and fishes will enjoy it more, as the flow is calm.

i could be wrong tho ^^
 
to get good surface aggitation fit the spraybar and just aim it upwards so it just about breakes the surface. virtually no noise and good agitation
 
I run without one no problems whatsoever and no noise unless the cabinet door is open. I rely on the Jewel 1500 powerhead for my surface agitation.
 
to get good surface aggitation fit the spraybar and just aim it upwards so it just about breakes the surface. virtually no noise and good agitation

I was under the impression that the surface had to ripple. I assume that I dont have to buy an Eheim spray bar will any make do?

Mike
 
theres nothing fancy about a spraybar any piece of plastic pipe with a cap in 1 end and holes along the length that will fit in the return pipe of your filter will do the same job
 
Will the spray bar still provide enough water movement for my fish (see signature). Im hoping to take the Fluval out once the Eheim is mature and keep it as a spare.

Regards
Mike
 
Just as mark said, get a lenth of plastic, cap one end and peirce some holes at interval's big enough to let the water spray out, yes your stock is very light so it should be fine, one way you could if have space put the sponge's from the internal fluval into the eheim,that's what i have done with my fx5, then if i need it sponge is mature
 
one way you could if have space put the sponge's from the internal fluval into the eheim,that's what i have done with my fx5, then if i need it sponge is mature

That is what I am hoping to do once the Eheim has matured, I dont really want to move the media over now incase it doesn't take and im left without a cycled filter.

So spraybars still provide a current then even if placed slightly below the water level, pointing upwards. The external filter is an Eheim Pro 2222 BTW.

Mike
 
yes it's just spraying out at interval's and algitating the water better and slowing down the current, otherwise the fish may be blown and stuck onto the glass :lol:

However you can use without the spraybar if you like, my fluval fx5 doe's not have a spray bar
 
sorry to hijack

but if you put a spray bar at the bottom, could you get it to push all poo etc to a point, so that its easier too clean?

so..

| ---------> Poo

^
spraybar
 
yes it's just spraying out at interval's and algitating the water better and slowing down the current, otherwise the fish may be blown and stuck onto the glass :lol:

This will be my beginners naivety talking, but do certain fish appreciate a strong current within the tank? I know Bettas and Gouramis are found in still waters, but do some fish prefer the opposite? Does it matter? -_- :huh:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top