Spotted Climbing Perch Diet

Catfish Jack

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So whats the best staple food for these guys, it doesn't seem interested in freeze dried bloodworm nor shrimp. Any ideas?

Small live foods like earthworms and river shrimps are ideal for settling in new specimens. Once feeding, you can switch to wet-frozen bloodworms and krill, fresh seafood, and small pieces of tilapia fillet. Take care to ensure you minimise thiaminase in their diet; while they eat prawns happily, because prawns contain so much thiaminase, they should be used sparingly.

Some people have acclimated them to dried foods, but I've never had that kind of luck with them. Whenever I write about Ctenopoma, I class them as requiring live/wet-frozen foods only.

Cheers, Neale

So whats the best staple food for these guys, it doesn't seem interested in freeze dried bloodworm nor shrimp. Any ideas?

Agreed with Neale :) of course!!

How big is yours and is it on its own? I've found with the youngsters that they settle much better in small groups of 3 or 4 and the smaller they are the better. In the shop I have about 10 in a tank with 2 young adults and i mix in a bowl of hot water (sometimes add liquid garlic and sometimes some Atvitol minerals) and make a mix of some bloodworm, krill, greenfood and artemia and then i refreeze it and they get a nice good feed twice a day, i have also found that they really like JBLs Novotabs, i think it was one fish in particular that liked the taste and the rest followed suit (hence better in groups, makes them bolder).

Thats just my thoughts anyhoo

Thanks for the info, guys. Hes about three inches, and his tankmates include a akf, senegal bichir, and synodontis. As soon as the weather clears up I'm going down to the river to fish out some fly larvae for him, I'm sure he'll enjoy those.

I'm sure he will, but if he isn't eating anything else, I wouldn't get him too used to live foods. If he's underweight, then by all means get him into shape quickly. But the aim with predatory fish is to "break their will" and get them onto stuff you can feed them daily, at minimal cost.

Cheers, Neale

As soon as the weather clears up I'm going down to the river to fish out some fly larvae for him, I'm sure he'll enjoy those.

I feed mines some small live food, frozen bloodworm but also fed Hikari Cichlid Gold from when he was very small and he really loves this. Had him for over a year and he's by far my favourite fish.

have managed to get mine on doromin as well as frozen bloodworms he will also have a good feast on tetramin
every now and again i give a treat of sandeel fillet which he devours with haste

have managed to get mine on doromin as well as frozen bloodworms he will also have a good feast on tetramin
every now and again i give a treat of sandeel fillet which he devours with haste

Hello and welcome back to May 2010! :p

My four eat Doromin; Cichlid XL; Hikari mini algae wafers(!); JMC catfish pellets; Hikari cichlid gold floating pellets; Tetra Prima; Hikari sinking carnivore pellets; the odd treat of defrosted bloodwrom/shrimp. They have never been a problem to feed, just like my African Butterfly Fish, which do tend to get a tricky to feed reputation (unjustly IMO, more an issue of getting chilled out tankmates, just like Ctenopoma)

Hello and welcome back to May 2010! :p

My four eat Doromin; Cichlid XL; Hikari mini algae wafers(!); JMC catfish pellets; Hikari cichlid gold floating pellets; Tetra Prima; Hikari sinking carnivore pellets; the odd treat of defrosted bloodwrom/shrimp. They have never been a problem to feed, just like my African Butterfly Fish, which do tend to get a tricky to feed reputation (unjustly IMO, more an issue of getting chilled out tankmates, just like Ctenopoma)

Sad to see so little Ctenopoma keepers around here but great find! Mine eat anything and everything. Flake, small algae wafers, krill, bloodworm, ghost shrimp, small fish, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, shrimp pellets. Guess I got lucky and didnt get a finicky eater
smile.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back