Sponge Filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

windandfire12

Reaction score
I need help. I'm new here. I joined last week. My question is: How well do Sponge Filters work for aquariums that are from 1 gallon (which I have for my male Betta) up to a 5 gallon tank? Please give me a rating on this:

1 being poor
2 being ok
3 being good
4 being very good
5 being great

All replys are welcome. :) :D

I turned mine off in the 5g after about 30 seconds -- it was LOUD, like a cauldron at full boil. If I ever put a sponge filter in a tank that small again, it's going to be a DIY job.

Well if you've got a 1gal tank, i would suggest no filters and doing 100% water changed like 2x a week.

If you're going to for a 5gal tank then get a small sponge filter w/ a control valve ~ they help you control how much air the sponge gets.

Sponge filters are pretty neat. . .just think of them as a house for the good bacteria. :good:

The one good thing about sponges is it helps w/ the bacteria and there's not a lot of waves.

Rambling on. . and on. . . sorry! :blush:

I use the discus sponge filters ( huey hungs) the water stream goes up rather than accross the tank so there is less problem with the fish getting thrown around.

So I would rate them as 4.

I use the discus sponge filters ( huey hungs) the water stream goes up rather than accross the tank so there is less problem with the fish getting thrown around.

Thanks for the reply Amerce and for the rating.

Well if you've got a 1gal tank, i would suggest no filters and doing 100% water changed like 2x a week.

If you're going to for a 5gal tank then get a small sponge filter w/ a control valve ~ they help you control how much air the sponge gets.

Sponge filters are pretty neat. . .just think of them as a house for the good bacteria. :good:

The one good thing about sponges is it helps w/ the bacteria and there's not a lot of waves.

Rambling on. . and on. . . sorry! :blush:

Thanks for the Info Sukie.

I turned mine off in the 5g after about 30 seconds -- it was LOUD, like a cauldron at full boil. If I ever put a sponge filter in a tank that small again, it's going to be a DIY job.

Thanks for the reply Soritan

Most reactions

Back