Sparkling Water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wonderboy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was talking to this guy in my lfs, and he said that one of his friends used to just pour carbonated water from a 2 liter into his tank in order to give the plants the CO2 they needed. Was this guy totally crazy, or would this work in some way??

~ Wonderboy!

I drank a few gulps of sparkling water (thinking that it was just like pepsi... :blush: ) and it was awful. I imagine fish wouldn't want to swim in it either. The resulting ph crash wouldn't be nice too :unsure:

Believe me - I don't plan on ever trying it, but I was just wondering if this idea should be laughed at or what have you...

The PH change wouldnt be a problem. The problem would be that there was not a stable and constant supply of CO". That would dissipate out pretty quickly.

Carbonated water is just water with carbon dioxide dissolved in it. The only difference with how we do it with diffusers/reactors is that it is done under pressure to get more dissolved in.

And to answer your question, no he wasn't nuts and lots of people have done it. It's not a method I'd recommend though.

James

I remember reading years ago this is how Amano first tried out C02 and growing plants, but it was years ago.

Richard,

You beat me too it !

The details are in Nature Aquarium book 1 pages 54 and 55. " 5 bottles of carbonated water ". It was one of his first experiments in Co2 for plants in his VERY early days...

.... Mr Amano has moved on somewhat since then :lol: and the rest of the hobby has followed him !

Al

hehe, this made me chuckle. I can just imagine someone dismantling a sodastream and giving their tank a quick fizz :lol:

2 presses or 3 ? :lol:
I got the first amano book for xmas too and was most amused to read about his drunken escapades with sparkling water :)

Some guy in PFK tried it. He added a cup of it into a 100litre tank and the fish quickly began gasping at the surface. He ran an air stone in the tank and did water changes until they went back to normal.
So im not saying if its right or wrong, just someones experience.

I tried it once with some java fern in a tiny tank after reading that part of the book, and it seemed to work, i got some small bubbles streaming from the ferns leaves.
Though there was no fish in my tank, and Amano also says to watch out for the sodium chloride in the carbonated water(maybe depends on brand).

Let's say there were no fish in the tank - just plants - what would happen then? Would the acidity be problematic to the plants? How much should/shouldn't be added? I might do a little experiment....

~ Wonderboy!

It'd probably work out more expensive and just think of all the plastic bottles you'd having lying around! :lol: I hope you recycle!

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back