Sparkling Gourami

bordercollie05

Fishaholic
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Texas, USA
I'm interested in these little fish for my new 20 gallon. I hear they are difficult to sex, but I'm guessing like other gouramis they like to be 2F/1M. Would I be better off just getting one? Or would it be okay if I guessed at the sex and got 2-3...if they all turned out to be males would it be a big problem? I'm not interested in breeding them, just keeping them peaceful and happy.

Thanks!

Laura
 
sparkling gouramis are peaceful and can be kept in prs or groups. They do really well in planted tanks with small peaceful species. You can even keep them with other small labyrinths like Betta imbellis and licorice goruamis.
 
I've not heard of a Sparkling one,,,,not the lace one is it, they are stunning? Pic anyone??? ta
 
sparkling gouramis are small compared to blue, gold or pearl gouramis. They are similar to the croaking gourami (Trichopsis pumilus) but a little more colourful.
 
Same here, chances are I'll go with honey, since that's all I could find at the LFS, but I leave the choice up to you. Sparklers are smaller, but cannot deal with boisterous tankmates.
 
Great, thanks for the information colin. I'm torn between them and a honey gourami.
Laura
get both, they will be fine together in most tanks bigger than 2ft long. Have some plants in there to provide territories and away you go :)
 
I've not heard of a Sparkling one,,,,not the lace one is it, they are stunning? Pic anyone??? ta
IMG_5989.jpg

Love mine so much. I would go with a group, I had 5 in a 20gal they had fry once and now I'm down to 3 for some reason. The internet says they make a "clicking sound". They do make noise and it is quite loud , but it sounds kinda like a highpitched woodpecker or realy fast clicking. Even though I watch them make the sound I have no clue how they do it. The link in my sig (sparkling gouramis displaying) is a short video of them clicking.


(by the way they are clicking right now :shifty: )
 
Thanks for the help guys, I really like the sparklers, I think I'll definitely go with them and maybe a honey if I have room.

I have guppies currently and 2 otos.

I'm thinking of stocking something like this, nothing set in stone yet though:

4 otos
4 guppies
1 BN plec
3-5 sparkling gourami
1 honey gourami?
5-6 glow light tetra?
some shrimp eventually?

Any suggestions as far as numbers or fish to leave out/add? (its a 20H 24" x 12" x 17")
 
Don’t keep otocinclus and bristlenose catfish together because the b/noses will eat all the food and the otos will starve.
Every fish you picked except the guppies will be happy in soft acid water, but the guppies need harder water with a slightly alkaline PH. Maybe drop the guppies and b/nose and replace them with a couple of honey dwarf gouramis and another school if small tetras or some pencilfish or hatchetfish.

*NB* make sure the filters have cycled before you add any fish :)
 
Don’t keep otocinclus and bristlenose catfish together because the b/noses will eat all the food and the otos will starve.
Every fish you picked except the guppies will be happy in soft acid water, but the guppies need harder water with a slightly alkaline PH. Maybe drop the guppies and b/nose and replace them with a couple of honey dwarf gouramis and another school if small tetras or some pencilfish or hatchetfish.

*NB* make sure the filters have cycled before you add any fish :)


Filter is well cycled. The guppies have got to stay as I've had them for awhile. No bristlenose with ottos eh? If I was careful about feeding them could it work? I already have ottos and really wanted a BN...

Thanks for your input :)

Laura
 
bristlenose are dirty fish that eat heaps and make loads of mess. They really shouldn't be kept in a small tank or a tank with smaller algae eating fishes in.
 
bristlenose are dirty fish that eat heaps and make loads of mess. They really shouldn't be kept in a small tank or a tank with smaller algae eating fishes in.

Hm, I see. What would you recommend for a tank size and tank mates for them?

Laura
 

Most reactions

Back
Top