SOS Please help! My betta is very sick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I hope he gets better soon!! Have you tried feeding him a pea? Peas help with bettas digestive tracks. :)
Hello Pheonix, thank you for your care. I've seen videos about feeding peas, but I'm afraid to do because I don't know if he is having constipation problem or not. My betta seems to be in critical condition right now

this is a poisoning issue from the tap water and not constipation. peas won't make any difference.

Your R/O unit does not appear to be working as well as it should be. There shouldn't be any nitrate in R/O water. And your pH should not be dropping that low either.

R/O water is regularly used on marine tanks because it is meant to be free of nitrates and phosphates. The fact you have nitrates in the R/O water is a concern and might indicate the R/O unit needs servicing.

A pH of 6.2 is not an issue for Bettas but the pH should not be dropping as much as it is. Pure water like distilled or rain water, has a pH of 7.0. So why your R/O water is dropping to 6.2 is unknown. It could be your water supply is naturally acidic and the water company is adding things to artificially raise the pH. These substances are then being removed from the water by the R/O unit and the remaining water is acidic.

---------------------------
If you do buy test kits, check the expiry date on them and don't buy kits that are kept near a heat source or in front of a window.

Keep test kits in a cool dry place away from light to maximise their shelf life.

*NB* Keep test kits away from children and animals because they have poisonous chemicals in them. Wash test phials under tap water after use. Wash hands with soapy water after using test kits.

---------------------------
If you aim the filter outlet towards the surface, it might create less water movement in the tank and the fish will be less likely to be drawn into the filter.
Hello Colin, it is 10pm here in California, and my betta seems to be in a very bad shape right now.
This morning, he seemed much better, as the picture I posted. I kept the filter on, but I kept monitoring him. I can't place the filter any lower because its rectangular shape. The bottom part of the filter where sucks the water in, is already on the ground. I placed big gravels to kind of block the filter little bit.
However, it is weird, my betta seemed really sick specially during night. I noticed that last night too. Last night he was not really moving, then this morning he was much more active and healthy.
Starting from late evening today, he paused time to time again, so I thought he was just more tired.
then around 8pm, I noticed his right Pelvic fin turned upward!
please see the picture I post. The first picture is 10am, then the pelvic fin turned upward is 8pm.
I researched online but couldn't find any answer. There was a posting similar to my betta's fin, and someone said it can be the start of fin rot?, but he wasn't sure.
I looked inside the tank but there is no piece of his fin. I ran to Petco before they close hoping partial water change will help. I bought Imagitarium Betta water 0.26 gallon because I can't trust my tap water nor my B/O water right now.
Petco also did current tank water test, and said everything is ok except ph level is little high (like 7.8)
Petco assistant said it looks like start of fin rot from stress, so gave me Betta fix which is Melaleuca oil (cajeput oil 0.2%) I told betta's history. Petco assistant said API Quick Start is not for bettas, that maybe only at the beginning of cycling or making the tank for the first time, and it could have created so much good bacteria, and that even good bacteria consume oxygen and this can make less oxygen in the tank. Few days ago, when I went to petsmart, their representative suggested to put API Quick Start because my R/O water doesn't have any good bacteria, so I added it into my tap water when I added partial water change with the tap water. Some youtubers add this product every time they do water change. Maybe adding it was a bad idea? so I was even scared to put the API betta fix.
So I just did 10% water change with Imagitarium betta water. it is already conditioned and premade. so without adding anything, I just pre heated before adding into the tank.
An hour later 10pm, his fin came back to normal. I took out the filter to make him less stressed as possible. However he is almost lifeless. Does not really move, mainly float with his head up and sometimes floats on his side. And his belly looks wavy, I don't know if this is normal. I attached current pictures.
Is he in critical condition? Is there anything I can do? or just leave him in peace. :(

Last edited:
Fin rot is caused by poor water quality, dirty filter, dirty gravel, and lack of water changes. If you do regular water changes and gravel cleans you will never see this disease. The dirty environment damages the fish's mucous coating and allows bad bacteria to build up in numbers and they get in and attack the fins and body. The bent pelvic fin is not fin rot.

--------------------------
No tap water anywhere in the world should have bacteria in it. Chlorine and chloramine are added to tap water to specifically kill bacteria, viruses, and other microscopic organisms that make people sick.

R/O water that has been made from chlorinated tap water should not have bacteria in either.

There is no point adding liquid filter bacteria supplements unless the filter is running continuously. The filter bacteria are aerobic and require oxygen. If the filter is not run continuously (24/7) the filter bacteria will not grow properly, if at all.

This problem has nothing to do with low oxygen levels in the water. Bettas and Gouramis have an organ in the top of their head, called the Labyrinth organ. It allows them to breath air from the atmosphere and get oxygen. These fish have evolved over thousands of years to live in water with low oxygen levels. As long as the fish can get to the surface, it can breath.

Medications like Bettafix and Melafix can leave an oily film over the surface and this can stop the fish from being able to breath air through the meniscus (surface of the water). If you don't have aeration or surface turbulence in the tank, you should not use these products. They should only be used in tanks with filters and aeration.

I bought Imagitarium Betta water 0.26 gallon because I can't trust my tap water nor my B/O water right now.
I have no idea what Betta water is but it sounds like a gimmick.

Your R/O water should be fine besides having a bit of nitrate (10ppm isn't a big issue, but it shouldn't be there after going through an R/O unit). Your tap water before it goes through the R/O unit may not be fine.

I would simply use R/O water that has been dechlorinated with a basic water condition, (not one for Bettas or anything else). Just a dechlorinator that breaks down chlorine and chloramine and binds any free ammonia in the water. Try to make up the water 30 minutes or so before using it and aerate it (use your filter from his tank).

Do big daily water changes, feed regularly but remove uneaten food.

Minimise chemical additives and make sure your hands are free of anything that could contaminate the water.

Monitor and see how he goes.

Medications like Bettafix and Melafix can leave an oily film over the surface and this can stop the fish from being able to breath air through the meniscus (surface of the water). If you don't have aeration or surface turbulence in the tank, you should not use these products. They should only be used in tanks with filters and aeration.
Thank you Colin for your information. Wow I wish pet store assistants give more correct information. Because I was told to put Bettafix and turn off the filter for an hour in order to work :(
Luckly I didnt put any...
I emailed the R/O company regarding my ph level and nitrate 20. Its filter was changed only few months ago.
I appreciate your suggestion, I will keep my eyes on him. Thank you :)

Man, I feel so bad for you!! I hope he looks better soon!! :(

Just keep up the water changes, and keep him conferable.

he reminds me of my betta I have now, and if he got sick, I would be grief srucktn!! :(

I agree what a terrible situation you are in. Such a pretty fish too!

Colin has a lot of experience, hopefully he can help you overcome the problem and your Betta will recover soon.

Man, I feel so bad for you!! I hope he looks better soon!! :(

Just keep up the water changes, and keep him conferable.

he reminds me of my betta I have now, and if he got sick, I would be grief srucktn!! :(
Right they are very similar!! How cute
Its very hard to watch my betta sick :(
Thank you for your support

Thank you for your support. I hope he gets better.
I must agree, there’s nothing worse than seeing your fish sick.

I’m quite soft myself when it comes to this.

Silly water suppliers causing problems!

I just saw a posting
I must agree, there’s nothing worse than seeing your fish sick.

I’m quite soft myself when it comes to this.

Silly water suppliers causing problems!
I just came across with a posting about new gravel harming the fish. I just remembered that I added new gravel & gems(colored glass & plastic) the day before my betta got sick.
I'm just going to take them all out when I get home. These fake stones could have produced more toxic to my betta that was already in bad water :(

I just saw a posting

I just came across with a posting about new gravel harming the fish. I just remembered that I added new gravel & gems(colored glass & plastic) the day before my betta got sick.
I'm just going to take them all out when I get home. These fake stones could have produced more toxic to my betta that was already in bad water :(
If the gravel had been previously used then this could have caused it.

When adding gravel that’s been used you leave it in boiling water for 30 minutes. This would be the best way to make sure any contaminations are gone.

If the gravel was new and it wasn’t rinsed properly then this could have caused it maybe.

If you introduced any water in with the new stones that contained chlorine, again this could have irritated the fish.

Maybe Colin will have further information.

Best of luck

If the gravel had been previously used then this could have caused it.

When adding gravel that’s been used you leave it in boiling water for 30 minutes. This would be the best way to make sure any contaminations are gone.

If the gravel was new and it wasn’t rinsed properly then this could have caused it maybe.

If you introduced any water in with the new stones that contained chlorine, again this could have irritated the fish.

Maybe Colin will have further information.

Best of luck
The gravel and gems are all new, washed with water.
Went home on my break to remove the gems at least.
Thank you for your info, thank you everyone. I'm watching him with my petcam and he is struggling.
I hope he gets through this.

Your R/O water should be fine besides having a bit of nitrate (10ppm isn't a big issue, but it shouldn't be there after going through an R/O unit). Your tap water before it goes through the R/O unit may not be fine.
I would simply use R/O water that has been dechlorinated with a basic water condition, (not one for Bettas or anything else). Just a dechlorinator that breaks down chlorine and chloramine and binds any free ammonia in the water. Try to make up the water 30 minutes or so before using it and aerate it (use your filter from his tank).
Hello Colin, my new gems and gravel added could have been producing toxin so yesterday I removed the plastic gem. The glass looking gravel was hard to remove all with my betta inside so I just removed little bit.
I added Imagitarium Shallow Creek Aquarium Gravel, which is natural brown river rock.
Also put the filter inside a jar with pile of rocks so that my betta can be free of danger. Now the filter is on 24/7. It seems ok so far.
I must agree about water test with stripe is incorrect. Even my ph drops showed 7.6 and anything higher would show 7.6. so I did high range ph and my tank yesterday was 8.2, ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrate 0ppm, TDS 175ppm. So I added half gallon of R/O water that was sitting for half day with topfin water conditioner.
Today I did about 60% water change with R/O water + topfin water conditioner added. This water had pH 6.6p. Even after the 60% water change, my current tank water has pH of 8.0, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrate 0ppm, Nitrate 5ppm, and TDS 162ppm.
What would be the reason my tank water is so high in pH? I can't understand. And there is white residue in the water, California is famous for hard water (municipal says its calcium) but the amount of tap water inside the tank should be little by now. Please see the picture of the plant leaf with white residue. Can this be a reason of high pH? Even my tap water has pH 7.8 and R/O water has 6.6 but why my tank water has pH 8? Isn't pH 8 to high for my betta?
Last night after just adding half a gallon of R/O water, she seemed much better because she was almost lifeless through out the day. But after I did 60% water change today, she is very low in energy again.
I poured the water very gently and slowly so that she doesn't get shock by sudden ph change.
I attached the picture of gravel that I couldn't take all out. I have to put my betta out in order to take them all out since that gravel is really small.
Is water change making him to stressed out? I want to leave him alone.. but is it necessary even at this point to do water change because of the high ph?
Yet he still has huge appetite. Gave 1 soaked pallet in the morning and 1 at night, then he almost suffocated himself by eating small piece of root and then he spit it out, so I gave 1 more pellet. Now he has no energy and he is just sitting over the jar, and he is opening his gill and eating air bubbles.

I bought small sponge filter with very light air pump. Would you recommend sponge filter over regular box filter?
Thank you as always.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back