Sort of Urgent quick worming question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

fishyfun&fans

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I saw some white poo today from a couple of my fish so as you would I have been to get some de wormer/anti fluke meds

Much to my dismay I headed down to the Dreaded LPS again! I was met by a rather troubled looking member of staff-whom did seem keen to help though

Well I got there asked for proziquintal(canā€™t spell it but showed them what I meant) they couldnā€™t find anything with that exact chemical but they saw this and thought maybe this was a good option Iā€™m however not so sure but needs must so I bought it

Can I have some opinions please and also some instructions on dosage?

Tank size 22ā€L-14ā€H-12.5ā€D

63 litres water weight or 14IMPā€™G 17USā€™G

I keep Assorted Mollies and 1 Dwarf Gourami Fancy Guppy fry and mollie fry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
For future reference:
praziquantel - eSHa gdex, kills flat worms such as tape worms
levamisole - eSHa ndx, kills round worms such as camallanus worms
flubendazole - NT Labs Anti Fluke & Wormer/Maidenhead Aquatics own brand Aqua Care Anti Fluke & Wormer (possibly the same product under an own brand label) kills both.

Waterlife does say that product treats internal worms as well but they don't say what's in it. It used to contain acriflavine and piperazine, though I have no idea if it still does. The bottle doesn't list the ingredients - did it come with a leaflet which does?

I can't remember if you have shrimps, but the website says not to be used with crustaceans.

I have no shrimp

Chemicals are as follows
Acrifflavine 340mg/l
Malachite green 545mg/l
Piperazine citrate 2040mg/l

3ml treats 30 litres

Should I just stick in 6ml diluted in tank water and allow the other 3litres to be the allowance for rocks and stuff and use as frequent as the bottle mentions(up to ten days but only on certain days)

I think piperazine is an anti worm chemical.

A lot of meds say to dose on certain days. Does it also say to treat again after a few weeks? Most anti worm meds do because they only kill the worms and not the eggs. Then the fish eat the eggs and are re-infected so the follow up courses are to kill the worms that were eggs the first time round but before they are mature enough to lay more eggs.

A general rule of thumb is to subtract 10% of the volume to allow for the decor, though if there's a lot of wood or rocks it would be safer to allow more than 10%.
Unless the instructions say otherwise, you can slowly add the med to the filter outflow.
Syringes/pipttes are better for measuring doses than cups. Babies' medicine dosing syringes are sold at most pharmacies if you can't wait for delivery, but make sure you ask for a babies' medicine syringe or you'll get the third degree over what you want it for.

Thank you very much Iā€™ve added the treatment and will keep it up until the end of the course on the bottle

I think piperazine is an anti worm chemical.
That is correct, piperazine is a dewormer regularly used on pigs and poultry.

-------------------
For the OP

Before you treat the tank, do the following things.

Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.
You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using salt or medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Wash your hands with soapy water after working in the tank or handling medications. The one you have contains Malachite green, which is pretty toxic and you don't want to be exposed to it if possible.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back