Sophos9 - Diy "poor Mans" Reef Cooling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Most likely just a surge in power affecting reading but I wouldnt worry IMO

But it's making the cooling kick in (I haven't hooked the fan up yet but it would be kicking in) so it'd be lowering the temp when it's not needed.

dontknow.gif

Idle, you running T5's right?

Get it away from your lighting ballast, they are known to affect these unit....

Yeah they're T5s (it's the jewel high-lite bar) but the ballast is in the light bar so it's quite a distance away from it already.

Ahhh.... Thats weird mate, i've got the same lighting and have no problems?

My sensor is back left of the tank

Are all your earths good? Can you drop a photo of your wiring?

My sensor's back-left, too. I've tried plugging it into a different wall socket (rather than from the same extension as the lights) and it still does the same thing.

I'll crack her open and get some pics for you..

Righty, here's how it looks. Excuse the tangle of wires.. I wired it all up without thinking about the fact I'd need to spin it around to close it! I've used the crimp terminal thingies on both the neutral and earth wires to link them together..

1561154133_dd50919292_b.jpg

Thats all good... Did you get a plastic or stainless sensor? The only things I can think of to try are the following:
  • Remove heater and cooling wiring (so ATC only has live/neutral and sensors)
  • Remove sensor from tank, move it well away and see if the lights still affect it (trying to see if sensor or unit is faulty)
Keep trying mate!

Cheers for all the help sophos :good: I'll give those a try tomorrow and see what happens! I feel guilty flicking the lights on and off too much (although they could have a little fishy disco of sorts).

Cheers.. It's not really that bad.. I've wired in sockets to the unit like you have rather than directly wiring the heater in, so I've just unplugged the heater from the ATC and running of it's own thermostat again.

Well it seems like it is due to the sensor (whose cable was up against the light's cable - dunno if this makes a difference?).. I'm pulling it all apart now and re-wiring into the proper enclosure.. When I hook it all back up I'm going to put the sensor on the other side of the tank well away from the light power cable and see what happens. Fingers Crossed.

I just realised I didn't answer your earlier question about the sensor - It's plastic.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back