Sophos9 - Diy "poor Mans" Reef Cooling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The re-wiring hasn't fixed it. At least it's a bit neater now! I'll test it with the sensor in different places and try to rule that one out tomorrow. I don't want to flash the lights on and off too much (just got a new coral yesterday!)

Only thing I can suggest now is that you two chaps compare notes:

Where are wires, ballasts, lights, etc etc.

Indeed, think in the opposite manner - can Sophos get his system to not behave well....

Things like this is why I say to people, forget engineering. Drives you insane sometimes and it's always the simplest of things...

Andy

We have the same lighting and sensors in the same location, stupid question but can you wrap some kitchen foil around the sensor cable - would that shield it? :lol:

would that shield it?
Yes.
And no!

Anyway, I think there is a fault with your unit. If the unit is supplied with that thermo couple and it is obviously designed for use with mains equipment, then it should work. My money is on a decoupling cap either broken or fallen off in the unit itself.

Andy

Okay, cheers for all the help. I'll send an email to monitors direct and see about getting a replacement.

Thanks again to both of you!!

Makes sense to me, does it to you? I would of course ask them about this problem first....

Andy

and we know about my electrical ability.... :good:

Steve @ monitors-direct should send a new unit out quick, there are a lot of posts on the net about the very same problem!!

I gave them a ring today and the bloke I was speaking to reckoned it's my house's electricity rather than the unit.. something about interference and the filters in the house (??) not being right or something like that!! He's gonna send me a replacement just to make sure but he thinks it wont make a difference. I guess only time will tell.

Underwurlde, does this filter talk make sense to you? I had no idea what he was on about :blush: is it something which needs to/can be fixed in our house by an electrician?

I thought so, too! He seemed to know his stuff and was more than happy to send another unit and was very nice about it so I wasn't sure at all!

'Interferece' can cover many, many things, so can be a great get out of jail free card when it comes to such things.

BUT as a design engineer, these things are to be expected and HENCE thought / design is put in to over come such issues.

Therefore, not meaning to intentionally have a go at this product or it's underlying design, but if someone said that, then my response would be, 'so it's a poor / cheap design then?'

Things are desgined and tested to certian levels (emissions & susceptabilty) - this is BS5750, TUV, CE, 510K, FDA etc rating. Yes, I design my stuff to these levels, but then again, my stuff is safety critical, medical thingies.

It's like driving a car over rough ground & it falling apart and the sales guy saying, oh, it must be the road you were driving over, try a nice smooth seciton of the M25 instead....

On the other hand, assumptions must be made to the state of the wiring in your house.... so with this in mind, does anything ELSE in your house experience similar electrical 'interference'?

Like I said, things like this can be an utter sod to track down - all very much 'black art' stuff really.

Andy

'Interferece' can cover many, many things, so can be a great get out of jail free card when it comes to such things.

BUT as a design engineer, these things are to be expected and HENCE thought / design is put in to over come such issues.

Therefore, not meaning to intentionally have a go at this product or it's underlying design, but if someone said that, then my response would be, 'so it's a poor / cheap design then?'

He mentioned something about the fact that it's directly wired into the mains and I forget the wording but he said that they're looking for some component which will fix it but they're having difficulties sourcing the correct piece - my thoughts were along the same lines.. shouldn't this have been thought about before hand if it's a common thing!

On the other hand, assumptions must be made to the state of the wiring in your house.... so with this in mind, does anything ELSE in your house experience similar electrical 'interference'?

Our house wiring isn't exactly great and I think needs to be renovated but I can't think of anything else which reacts to something else being on or off.

Hopefully the replacement will work properly..

I forget the wording but he said that they're looking for some component which will fix it but they're having difficulties sourcing the correct piece
:huh:

...my response would be, 'so it's a poor / cheap design then?'
I've been doing this stuff for too long....

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back