Some photos of my chocolate mollies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Overhere some pics of my chocolate mollies. Actually, there is only one kind of chocolate molly strain and that's the black eyed brown molly. The brown mollies with red eyes are actually the lutino version of the black molly (could be P.sphenops, P.velifera or P.latipinna for that matter). But the brown body is still there. And nowadays, they are also called chocolate mollies.
IMG_7974.JPGIMG_7977.JPGIMG_7942.JPGIMG_7930.JPGIMG_0328.JPG

How cool. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a chocolate mollie. I like that darkest one with the red eyes. Very nice.

How cool. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a chocolate mollie. I like that darkest one with the red eyes. Very nice.
Chocolate mollies do exist already for a very long time. But in some way, commercially... it didn't work out that well. And I just wonder why...

For about 2 shipments, one of my local stores in Montreal had beautiful ones, and even if I rarely keep linebred fish, I was sorely tempted. To me, chocolate mollies and marigold swordtails are my two 'fancy fish' temptations.

But as quickly as they appeared, they vanished. I haven't seen them for a couple of years, and the store manager said they weren't on his lists. He said they had sold very well when he had them. So I don't think demand was the problem.

It made it easier for me to continue on as a wild type purist, but it is curious.

For about 2 shipments, one of my local stores in Montreal had beautiful ones, and even if I rarely keep linebred fish, I was sorely tempted. To me, chocolate mollies and marigold swordtails are my two 'fancy fish' temptations.

But as quickly as they appeared, they vanished. I haven't seen them for a couple of years, and the store manager said they weren't on his lists. He said they had sold very well when he had them. So I don't think demand was the problem.

It made it easier for me to continue on as a wild type purist, but it is curious.
Well, they've been on the market for many years worldwide (the black eyed chocolate mollies, I mean). But it seems as if this breed didn't last on the market in comparison to other fancy molly breeds.

But just like you, I love wild molly species a lot. I've got a number of them swimming overhere.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back