[Solved] Snails In Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kaivalagi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a Vallis plant yesterday and just put it straight into my main tank whilst I got busy with the new fish I also got...I didn't take it out of the small pot or anything and didn't rinse under tap water...I just forgot all about it.

To top it all I left one of the 2 external filters off overnight by mistake and when I got up this morning I saw about 30 odd smallish snails (I think the pond variety?) in the return hose to it, not thinking I turned the filter on and all the snails went into the filter
crazy.gif

I'm not due for a big clean of my filters until another month or so and was wondering would it really hurt if the snails are in there? Now it could be a possibility they were already in the filter and that because I left it off they had an escape route into the tank? I haven't seen snails in any of my tanks for some time now, since getting a better feeding regime sorted out...

Also, if I end up with a snail population problem, what is the best form of defence? Assassin snails? Some form of loach?

Any suggestions/advice please?

Thanks

I have snails in one of my externals! They have been there for over a year! If you do not want them in the tank then maybe YoYo loaches, I had 2 in my cichlid tank and they were fine! Ate all the snails and liked to play dead!

I guess if nothing else they'll keep load on the filter if turned off :) Is it common for snails for find homes in external filters? It sort of makes sense cause some left over food will make it's way into them and the snails will like it because it's dark...

I'll be adding MTS soon so expect big numbers eventually anyway...better to get used to the idea now I guess
hehe.gif

My external is full of MTS, they seem to like the externals for some reasone. I use to get a lot of ramshorns in their too (till they all died off or got eaten), I think they mainly get sucked in when small and grow, never given me any problems

I am starting to think that they've always been in there hiding in the bottom tray with the bio-tube thingies

I had some snails when using an internal filter, then shortly after moving to an external they disappeared, I thought they were eaten, but I am guessing they moved into a new home :)

Thanks guys!

Hi,

I bought a Vallis plant yesterday and just put it straight into my main tank whilst I got busy with the new fish I also got...I didn't take it out of the small pot or anything and didn't rinse under tap water...I just forgot all about it.

To top it all I left one of the 2 external filters off overnight by mistake and when I got up this morning I saw about 30 odd smallish snails (I think the pond variety?) in the return hose to it, not thinking I turned the filter on and all the snails went into the filter
crazy.gif

I'm not due for a big clean of my filters until another month or so and was wondering would it really hurt if the snails are in there? Now it could be a possibility they were already in the filter and that because I left it off they had an escape route into the tank? I haven't seen snails in any of my tanks for some time now, since getting a better feeding regime sorted out...

Also, if I end up with a snail population problem, what is the best form of defence? Assassin snails? Some form of loach?

Any suggestions/advice please?

Thanks

My brother-in-law had a snail infestation in his 55g. He had no idea where it came from since he does not have live plants in there, just bog wood that has been in there for 3 years. He wanted to use a chemical solution, but I told him not to and to only do that as a last resort. I bought him 3 polka dot loaches. And he hasn't had a snail problem afterwards. Sure, there may have been some that snuck by, but they get them as soon as they are big enough to be seen by them.

mmmm, now my cory are in another tank I might well get some loaches...

Would they be okay with Bristlenose Plec, Geophagus (eartheaters), port acara and Sevs (eventually)? How much of a pain are they when any cichlid breeding is going on?

They wont do any damage but they are a pain if you have a spray bar as they tend to get washed into it and keep blocking the holes!

They wont do any damage but they are a pain if you have a spray bar as they tend to get washed into it and keep blocking the holes!

Really, I just can't picture that...I have 2 filters and therefore 2 spray bars running the length of the tank...I'm guessing they can't block all the holes :)

So far Yoyo and Polkadot loaches have been suggested, any others that like snails a lot?

Liking the look of Polka Dots, they don't get past 5" either...not sure how easy they are to come by yet, another trip to the LFS coming up :)

Thanks

Most reactions

Back