Soil tank pilot

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Zante

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm planning a 1000+ litre soil aquarium for discus, with plenty of emersed vegetation, but recently things have changed and I've had to postpone this build a few months.

I was thinking in the meantime that I could set up my juwel rio 125 as a miniature version of that tank to use as a pilot, and populate it with blue rams instead of the discus that would go in the future larger tank.
I have wanted to get rams again for a long time...

What I was wondering though is this: should I go for a species tank with two pairs, or should I go for a complete pilot with also tank mates that are similar to those that will be with the discus?
I wouldn't mind them breeding, almost look forward to it to be honest, but I'm not sure I'd be able to rehome all the juveniles in the new area I'm moving into. Maybe in a couple of years when I'll have a proper network of fishkeepers and shops, but not in the short term.
Also other things to balance out: I like the idea of a species tank, and I would find it useful to have a proper pilot for the soil riparium with also tankmates before I start on the larger one.

Help deciding?
Please?

Most reactions

Back