Soil Substrate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

How much lava rock should be placed under the sand? Will it affect the plants rooting?

Lava rock is calcareous so it may dissolve calcium and magnesium into the water. Then, what if you have fish that will dig down, what will they have to deal with? And in any event, a healthy substrate will (should) have areas of anaerobic activity as well as aerobic. The nitrification does not end with nitrate.

Many aquarists do not seem to grasp the complexities of an aquarium. Every time you add any one substance to the tank, it likely will have a sort of chain reaction with other substances or processes. While the aquarium is a very artificial ecosystem, it is using pure natural science from the moment you put in a fish. The laws of science will not vanish just because it is in an aquarium. :fish:

Lava rock is calcareous so it may dissolve calcium and magnesium into the water. Then, what if you have fish that will dig down, what will they have to deal with? And in any event, a healthy substrate will (should) have areas of anaerobic activity as well as aerobic. The nitrification does not end with nitrate.

Many aquarists do not seem to grasp the complexities of an aquarium. Every time you add any one substance to the tank, it likely will have a sort of chain reaction with other substances or processes. While the aquarium is a very artificial ecosystem, it is using pure natural science from the moment you put in a fish. The laws of science will not vanish just because it is in an aquarium. :fish:
Yup Byron is absolutely right on this. Ive used all sorts of substrates like flourite aqua soil, dirt, and while initially does well it wears out its usefulness rather quickly and is more expensive than its worth and one doesnt really know when its used up until everything starts dying, byron is correct about the lava rock as well, people use it for building height in dirted tanks and creating pockets but even then its a questionable method, personally i use lavavrock in my filter as filter media, its super porous so has lots of area to grow beneficial bacteria.

I see no point in risking the fish when there are risk-free methods that are just as good.

Thank you all for the very helpful information. And that is very true Byron- I suppose its serves no real purpose long term to use soil over other methods, especially since there are so many other good options.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back