Snails

EMdina

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have discovered recently that there are snails in my tank. I did not put them there, so I'm assuming they came in on the live plants that I bought. Each day I think I'm going crazy because I swear I see more snails...perhaps they're just coming out more...they're gettting really big...I hear that they're not good for live plants and I have a lot of plants in my tank- which are as precious to me as my fishies are. Is it true that snails will kill the plants or should I keep them in the tank to help keep it clean? I want them out (cuz they sort of creep me out) and my husband says we should keep them...what to do?
E

Ok, it depends on what type of snails they are. I for example do have snails. They don't eat the plants. They clean my tank and they provide good fish food. (The young you can squash them on the glass fish love it). You can't really exactly get rid of them really. They probably did come with the plants. If you really want to maintain them you could get pufferfish. However beware they are aggresive what other type of fish do you have? I think you should leave the snails. But You will have to cull some as they will become too numerous. But overall they are good. ;)

Snails are to fish tanks what weeds are to gardens.

Yes, they are pests. Yes, they can eat your plants, but you can't 100% cure the problem.

Don't bother with the chemicals.
(a) they don't actually kill all the snails (and if two survive...)
(B) the snails they do kill clog up your filter, rot in your tank and send your nitrate levels into the stratosphere.
© loads of fish and creatures are intolerant to them.

I go snail hunting at dusk. The best "bait" I've found is a Hikari algae wafer. Wait 10 minutes and then scoop out a disgusting pile of snails and wafer. Also make sure you don't over-feed your fish as that should (theoretically) starve the snails out.

They can't eat rubbery plants like anubias and Java fern. They seem to regard crypts as lunch :(

I have also heard that snails are bad for your tank! I am not too sure how to get rid of them but I do know they are PESTS!! And you definatly want to get rid of them. Hopefully somebody will have some advise on how to get ride of those nasty critters... -_-

I used to have snails in my smaller tank. I didn't put them there, so I assume I got them with plants like you did, and at first I wanted them out. After a while I realised getting rid of them all wouldn't happen. Since they didn't do much damage to the plants, I decided to let them be.

But one day one of the snails got too close to the eggs my krib couple were guarding. The male attacked it and must have liked the taste, because within a month all of the snails were gone. So, that solved that problem. ;)

EEEWWWWWW!
I had to cut a plant back as it was growing out of the tank...so decided to go snail hunting...I can't believe how many snails were in the tank...I pulled out the piece of drift wood I have in there and on the bottom were 10 snails, easily...and I found one on the roots of one of my plants...not to mention the other 5 or so that were roaming the tank...eeewwww....
I would love to have puffers, but I'm affraid they just wouldn't co-habitate well with the little lovelies I have in there now...I'm all about peace and harmony...so, I don't think that would work...
I'll have to settle for the occasional snail scoop, I guess...they're just so gross (IMO)...
E

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back