Snail ID?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Gemmsy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
Newly setup nano, have noticed a hitchhiker likely from my main tank. Only ones I were aware of in there were bladder and assassins. This one doesnā€™t look like either. Perhaps from a recently purchased plant?

Anyway wondered if any of you pros could ID it for me. As long as there is just one Iā€™m happy for it to stay put! From reading Iā€™m leaning towards Ramshorn at the moment but hard to tell?

Thanks In advance.

B0BC6E47-1A5F-4572-87A5-1A7785119062.jpeg
9C79EC6D-4D7B-4124-A9B9-0D68251325FB.jpeg
EB604E0C-CB6B-43C4-BC07-3BB5751D30B0.jpeg

Just read they can lay and fertilise solo! So theyā€™re out ha! Thanks.

Where there is one, there will be many more

Where there is one, there will be many more
That is the trouble with snails that creep into the aquarium behind your back.....you start with one and end up with wall to wall snailitis in the blink of an eye ;)

That is the trouble with snails that creep into the aquarium behind your back.....you start with one and end up with wall to wall snailitis in the blink of an eye ;)
Yep...and the common thinking is the population explosion is always due to overfeeding, which is not true in many cases

Snails are scavengers; they don't need fish food to flourish, though overfeeding CAN exacerbate the problem.
Agreed, they will eat dead plants, leftover food, etc. Now it is true that overfeeding will cause extreme overpopulation.

Two now moved back to the main tank. My inevitably futile battle commences āš”ļø haha

You could try assassin snails to take care of the pest snails; they also will breed, but not as prolifically or as often as pest snails

Or, manually remove them as you see them...but if eggs have already been laid (which is probable), it may be a futile task

You could try assassin snails to take care of the pest snails; they also will breed, but not as prolifically or as often as pest snails
Or, manually remove them as you see them...but if eggs have already been laid (which is probable), it may be a futile taskIā€™ve got assassins in my main tank so that is possible, Iā€™m hoping that these ones were too small to lay eggs so I should be ok if I keep an eye out for them ha!

Or, manually remove them as you see them...but if eggs have already been laid (which is probable), it may be a futile task
Thanks, Iā€™ve got assassins in the main tank so this is possible, but as the ones Iā€™ve found are very small Iā€™m hoping there are no eggs so should be ok. Either way is no dramas ā˜ŗļø

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back