Snail I.d.

keenonfish

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
895
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Manchester, UK
Hi folks can anyone help me with this snail and whether it is good or bad because I think my plants are being eaten by something at the moment!

snail.jpg


I have also got some tiny ramshorn like things but shells always lying on side so am pretty sure they are not ramshorn they grow to about 4mm and two more that are like above but longer shell with maybe 1 1/2 twists.

Thanks.
 
the one on the leaf looks like a funny coloured mystery/ apple snail. The small ones that look like they are laying on their side are harmless and don't bother plants. They stay small, (about 4-5mm).
 
Thanks Colin so this isn't a bad thing then as they should eat all the dying matter and algae in the tank..?

I will try to get a shot of the other elongated if you don't mind having a go at that!

Olly
 
yep the snails should feed mainly on dead matter, rotting plant, uneaten fish food and any fish that dies. If there isn't any food for them then they will graze on plants but that is a last resort for them. Most tanks have plenty of food for a few snails :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top