Snail Eaters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SharkWeek

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Iv got some clown loaches and i just tossed in a large number of snails just so they can snack whenever they want. Im woundering what other small peaceful fish can and will eat snails. Something that would fit in a 29g. Thanks

I don't know of any fish that will eat snails that can live in a 29 gallon tank, but I know that assassin snails can live in a 29 gallon tank, and that these snails eat other snails. why do you have Clown Loaches in a 29 gallon tank, they are not suitable for such a small tank

yea all my fish are real young and real small, so it will be a while before they out grown there tanks

i was just grabing the snails and crushing them, all the loaches came swarming. I did cut my finger though.

I found a pest snail in my tank this morning. I crushed it and my guppies went mad and ate it all up. Not sure if that helps any though :)

My cory's love it when I crush rams horn snails for them. When my Pakastani loaches where small I used to have to crush the snails for them but now they are huge they can manage to suck the snails clean out of their shells, really neat because then I add the empty shells into my shrimp tanks for the shrimp to recycle the calcium. I have not seen my Borneo Suckers so much as look at snacking on a snail nor my lizard fish. Siamese figthers are supposed to like eating snails but somebody negelected to infrom my male and two females of this fact :lol: . Even my much loved khuli loaches aren't up to having a crack at snails. Chain loaches might be good for snail destruction and they stay smaller than Pakastaini loaches :nod: .

Most fish will happily eat pest snails once the shells have been crushed.

I crush the snails in my tank for my platys and swords. Actually saw on of the platys pick it up and swim around for awhile with a crushed snail in her mouth.

yea all my fish are real young and real small, so it will be a while before they out grown there tanks

i was just grabing the snails and crushing them, all the loaches came swarming. I did cut my finger though.
Mate; like people most fish do most of their growing in the first year or two; clowns should get to six or eight inches in a year (if they're not stunted), as should the dojo loach. They slow down a bit once they reach that size, but they do badly need a bigger tank ASAP I'm afraid.

Zebra loach Botia striata are great snail eaters and are suitable for a 29g tank.

Mate; like people most fish do most of their growing in the first year or two; clowns should get to six or eight inches in a year (if they're not stunted), as should the dojo loach. They slow down a bit once they reach that size, but they do badly need a bigger tank ASAP I'm afraid.

Zebra loach Botia striata are great snail eaters and are suitable for a 29g tank.
say, i do take them back whats a good sized fish i could put in the 29g

yeah take them back and get a credit note. There 1,000s of fish that fit, it takes all of 5 min to reaserch a fish regarding tank size before you buy :good:

The zebra loach I mentioned would do very well in a 29g tank; I used to keep a shoal of seven in a three foot/100l/23g tank; and they do eat snails too.

Its not necessarily the Voulume of water you tank has, but more so the Dimensions of the tank. You could have a 50Gal, but its a tall tank, rather than long, this is what effects what fish can go in ther. What About YoYo Loaches, 2 in the 29G would be okay. Botia lohachata

Get the clowns out by the way :good:

Oh and the DoJo, Research is key in this hobby to prevent "taking fish back to the LFS"

Most reactions

trending

Back