vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Are snails herbivores?
Scavengers?
Fish or shrimp killers?

Help me out.

This is coming up because of the Neon Tetras Dying Off thread.

I, too lost a batch of Green Neons. I did not research because I've always wanted those particular fish, was greedy and bought them all. I was in the wrong on many levels of no importance now as it is late and I won't make the same mistakes.

I put them in a nice 10 gallon that had been running with plants, a Danio, and a White Mystery Snail.

Out of the 16 I probably removed about half of the bodies. The others were nowhere to be found. They were getting visibly sick, struggling head up towards top of the tank, turning red, and the last one was just gasping where he had 2 days before been eating and I was hopeful.

When the numbers got down to 3 in the 10g I moved them into a tank with the Danio and snail, since they were all together I thought if it was a parasite or something at least they would be all contained together. (I added 2 shrimp, thos was the tank I entered in the TOTM for Feb 2020)

The last tetra disappeared a couple of days ago after what I thought was a comeback.

Now, when everyone was in the 10g and half the bodies were not found, my Mystery Snail seemed to grow so I assumed what I thought was the obvious, that she ate the dead tetras, and FAST!

So a week or so ago my two shrimp disappeared, ( maybe after molting?), also housed with said snail.

Then 2 days ago no more of the last of the tetras, poor Squirt☹, also with snail.

This is a lot of info, hope it makes sense. Does anyone else think sweet Tara the snail, named after the goddess of compassion and longevity, ate up the weakened tetras and shrimp?

Thanks

Sorry for all your losses, but yes I think the snail ate the bodies :( I do not think she would kill them but once dead they are food for snails. Sorry again .

Mainly eat plants but even the strictest vegetarian, fish, snails or others will take the opportunity to eat dead fish

Snails are herbivore but they will eat all corpse when the fish died, sorry for your lost.

Thanks everybody.
I still love Tara. It wasn't her fault.
And my tank(s) never stank, and for that I am grateful.

20200213_200614.jpg

RIP, Squirt!
20200204_184407.jpg
RIP, Frick and Frack
20200204_185205.jpg
RIP, Sweet little Lollipop Tank!

snails and shrimp will eat anything organic. if something dies in the tank, they will eat it. shrimp will even try to catch small or sick fish and eat them.

But the idea is, basically, that they are not going to stalk and attack a healthy creature, one that can get away?
But maybe a fry or very young thing?

But the idea is, basically, that they are not going to stalk and attack a healthy creature, one that can get away?
But maybe a fry or very young thing?
Yup! A slow moving fry or injured or sick fish. Not likely they will succeed unless the fish is almost completely immobile

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back