Snail Control

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Purchased a lot of plants the last few weeks from different suppliers after I killed most of my plants while redoing my scape. There are now way too many snails!
Have never had an issue with snails in the past. Due to having discus, the tank is fed twice a day and any food that gets into the cracks of the rocks is pretty much snail heaven, so I don't see the population slowing down anytime soon.

There is a tank shutdown that is selling all 10 Clown Loaches about 3" big for $20. I know its never the right idea to get fish to take care of a problem, but I have always wanted Loaches, and the tank is a 225 Gallon, so there is room for it.

My question is, will 10 Clown Loaches take care of a snail problem?

Oh and I know they aren't the greatest Discus tank mates, but I think the Discus are going to go, too much work to keep happy in a community tank, takes the fun out of the hobby.

Snails will normally control their own population by amount of food fed. They are great for clean up. I would leave them alone or just remove some by placing a piece of cucumber in the bottom of tank. If you don’t have veggie clips, just weight them down with a fork. Next morning you will find lots of snails on cucumber and can just lift them out. Good luck!

Several things here.

First, the snails are actually telling you that you have a serious problem. Snails eat organics, all of it, from fish excrement to dead fish/plant matter to fish foods in excess of what the fish require. This is a problem and needs to be resolved for the health of all your fish and the aquarium's biological system.

The only way to control snails is to reduce the organics. You should never feed more than the fish can eat within seconds. Substrate fish are different, as they (cories, loaches) graze on the sinking foods for hours and that is normal. But you still need to control the food so there is enough but not more. Once a day is plenty for mature fish; fry need more, but not beyond that stage. Discus are no different.

Acquiring fish like clown loaches is a big mistake. And it is cruel to the fish when they are placed in an aquarium not designed for their inherent needs. Size is one thing, an 8-foot tank is the recommended aquarium for a group of clown loaches. And they need at least five in order to establish their social hierarchy and avoid stress and much worse; ten would obviously solve this problem, but the aquarium is not anywhere near large enough for this.

Several things here.

First, the snails are actually telling you that you have a serious problem. Snails eat organics, all of it, from fish excrement to dead fish/plant matter to fish foods in excess of what the fish require. This is a problem and needs to be resolved for the health of all your fish and the aquarium's biological system.

The only way to control snails is to reduce the organics. You should never feed more than the fish can eat within seconds. Substrate fish are different, as they (cories, loaches) graze on the sinking foods for hours and that is normal. But you still need to control the food so there is enough but not more. Once a day is plenty for mature fish; fry need more, but not beyond that stage. Discus are no different.

Acquiring fish like clown loaches is a big mistake. And it is cruel to the fish when they are placed in an aquarium not designed for their inherent needs. Size is one thing, an 8-foot tank is the recommended aquarium for a group of clown loaches. And they need at least five in order to establish their social hierarchy and avoid stress and much worse; ten would obviously solve this problem, but the aquarium is not anywhere near large enough for this.

Totally agree with you, can't argue with its the extra fish food. Issue is I haven't figured out a way to to make it work with the overflow in the rear, the floating food always ends up over. If I turn off the pump, I always end up having to adjust the valves to get the siphon in the Herbie Method back to normal. Its not excessive feeding, its the food that gets lost that's causing the issue. Plus I started off with so many, I am a huge fan on Malaysian Trumpet snails, I actually went out and purposely purchased them, its the snails that came with the plants that I can't control, I believe the ramshorn.

I was thinking loaches to control the snail population but to also just have, at 3", I would assume in 2 years they would only be about 5" at most, do you not think there is enough room for 10 of them in a 225 Gallon? Reason I am saying 2 years is because that is most likely when the tank is going to be shutdown.

The Discus are incredible to watch, and will be sad to see them go but I think the plants will definitely thrive more once the heat is down and I always have to worry if they are eating enough, because of the slow pace so I think its time for them to go.

Last edited:
I grasp the filter/food issue, and with slow-feeding discus this would be a concern that I with my characins and cyprinids would not have because they are too quick to eat anything falling. I know other members have similar issues and I'm sure they will have ideas. I'll move on to a subject on which I do have considerable background, the loaches.

I am not a supporter of acquiring fish with the intention of getting rid of them down the road when they become too unmanageable. When we acquire a fish, we should only do so if we intend keeping it for its entire life, and thus being able to provide for its needs from the acquisition to its eventual (hopefully natural) death. Anything less to be honest is inhumane and cruel to the fish. I know that issues sometimes arise that were unforeseen and there may be no alternative; but knowingly acquiring a fish or group of fish intending to not keep them properly for their lifespan...no, this is not what this hobby should be about. I have got myself into a couple of regrettable situations many years ago and I learned my lesson with shame. Fish deserve better.

This group of 10 clown loaches will establish their hierarchy; loaches are highly social fish, more than almost any other freshwater species. These should attain 6 to 8 inches (15 to 20 cm) within a couple years from birth if they are healthy. After that, they will grow more slowly to somewhere between 8 and 12 inches (20 to 30.5 cm). There are reports of fish attaining 15 inches (40 cm) but these are the exception.

Then there is their inappropriateness with discus and any sedate upper fish. I know you intend to get rid of the discus, but there may be other upper fish that will be affected. We can leave this, as the above is far more crucial to the proper development of these fish. But we should always avoid creating harmful issues for our fish, and snails are a far better alternative to stressed fish. :fish:

I am not a supporter of acquiring fish with the intention of getting rid of them down the road when they become too unmanageable. When we acquire a fish, we should only do so if we intend keeping it for its entire life, and thus being able to provide for its needs from the acquisition to its eventual (hopefully natural) death. Anything less to be honest is inhumane and cruel to the fish. I know that issues sometimes arise that were unforeseen and there may be no alternative; but knowingly acquiring a fish or group of fish intending to not keep them properly for their lifespan...no, this is not what this hobby should be about. I have got myself into a couple of regrettable situations many years ago and I learned my lesson with shame. Fish deserve better.

This group of 10 clown loaches will establish their hierarchy; loaches are highly social fish, more than almost any other freshwater species. These should attain 6 to 8 inches (15 to 20 cm) within a couple years from birth if they are healthy. After that, they will grow more slowly to somewhere between 8 and 12 inches (20 to 30.5 cm). There are reports of fish attaining 15 inches (40 cm) but these are the exception.

Then there is their inappropriateness with discus and any sedate upper fish. I know you intend to get rid of the discus, but there may be other upper fish that will be affected. We can leave this, as the above is far more crucial to the proper development of these fish. But we should always avoid creating harmful issues for our fish, and snails are a far better alternative to stressed fish. :fish:

Sorry for the late response. I totally agree with what you're saying, I have definitely purchased fish when I first started off, whose needs were not being met in my tank but I think I've definitely learned my lesson and now understand the importance of fish health, minimum group numbers... Which is why I actually let the seller know I could not take the fish. You're actually the person that convinced me to stop injecting CO2 from an older posted you commented on as well haha.

However, long story short, I did end up picking them up because the owners had to leave town, but I did find a 800 Gallon they'll be going to in, in a month. Our local supplier is upgrading their store and said that his 800 Gallon would be running in a month so they would be a great fit in there and he always planned on getting larger fish for that tank. So that turned out good, especially since they are coming from a 75 Gallon.

I did have 1 question for you though, I never see them in my tank! First day they arrived, they were really active in the front. Now I never see them, don't even see them at night either, I do have a lot of rocks they are obviously hiding in but literally never see them come out as group, the odd 1 on its own here and there.

Is that common or normal? Even for feeding. I'd like to see them before they are gone lol

Sorry for the late response. I totally agree with what you're saying, I have definitely purchased fish when I first started off, whose needs were not being met in my tank but I think I've definitely learned my lesson and now understand the importance of fish health, minimum group numbers... Which is why I actually let the seller know I could not take the fish. You're actually the person that convinced me to stop injecting CO2 from an older posted you commented on as well haha.

However, long story short, I did end up picking them up because the owners had to leave town, but I did find a 800 Gallon they'll be going to in, in a month. Our local supplier is upgrading their store and said that his 800 Gallon would be running in a month so they would be a great fit in there and he always planned on getting larger fish for that tank. So that turned out good, especially since they are coming from a 75 Gallon.

I did have 1 question for you though, I never see them in my tank! First day they arrived, they were really active in the front. Now I never see them, don't even see them at night either, I do have a lot of rocks they are obviously hiding in but literally never see them come out as group, the odd 1 on its own here and there.

Is that common or normal? Even for feeding. I'd like to see them before they are gone lol

The plan sounds good. As for the secretive behaviour now, this is to be expected. The botine loaches are fish that absolutely do not like being moved. I have had several species over the last 20+ years (never the clown though as I never had a tank of 8 foot length) and the initial response to a new environment is usually (if not always) frantic swimming up and down the tank wall and/or across the substrate. This can continue for a few hours up to several days. After this phase, they may then decide to remain sheltered as a means of dealing with their considerable stress level at this time. Just leave them alone, don't try to "see" them or feed them beyond adding food (but not too much). Feeding at dusk may help as the tank light going off can calm many fish and loaches in particular. Before it gets completely dark, as they rest at night. Or alternatively add their food (sinking pellets/tabs/disks) early in the "day" for them, meaning before the tank light comes on, the "dawn" period.

Yes it is normal, and probably best for your sanity. When I had mine I would regularly find them lying flat on their backs or on their sides on bits of wood or plants, even in roots of surface plants. They were only playing dead but I cannot tell you how many time I went to net out a dead fish only to have it swim off. Have to say I miss the little beggars though.

Snails will normally control their own population by amount of food fed. They are great for clean up. I would leave them alone or just remove some by placing a piece of cucumber in the bottom of tank. If you don’t have veggie clips, just weight them down with a fork. Next morning you will find lots of snails on cucumber and can just lift them out. Good luck!

Yes it is normal, and probably best for your sanity. When I had mine I would regularly find them lying flat on their backs or on their sides on bits of wood or plants, even in roots of surface plants. They were only playing dead but I cannot tell you how many time I went to net out a dead fish only to have it swim off. Have to say I miss the little beggars though.
I purchased 4 snails at petsmart ( big mistake) and they multiplied and thank god they have died out took a month , kept laying eggs and I would just toss out , I have a 75 g with two angels . Trying to get ammonia under control is at 0.25

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back